History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Woolhampton, West Berkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4054 / 51°24'19"N

Longitude: -1.1715 / 1°10'17"W

OS Eastings: 457722

OS Northings: 167695

OS Grid: SU577676

Mapcode National: GBR 939.YCY

Mapcode Global: VHCZF.NY01

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 6 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39685

Location: Woolhampton, West Berkshire, RG7

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Woolhampton

Built-Up Area: Woolhampton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Woolhampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Midgham

Listing Text

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON
SU 56 NE
3/19 Church Of St Peter
6.4.67
- II

Church. 1857-61 by John Johnson in a Neo-Gothic style. Flint with stone
dressings, angle buttresses, carved footstones, coped parapets, and tiled
roofs with ridge cresting. Tile hung bellcote on ridge to west with cusped
openings on each side, shingled broach spire, and weathervane. Rich Decorated
style with mainly geometric tracery. Nave, south parch, north and south tran-
septal chapels, chancel and vestry. Nave: 2 bays; 2-light windows with
hoodmoulds. Large 4-light window to west and one light opening with hood-
mould above in base of bellcote, flanked by carved stone dressings. Moulded
south doorway with hoodmould and carved stops. Gabled timber south porch on low
wall, 2 bays deep with arched panels, decorated bageboards and 2 low gates.
South transeptal chapel: 2-light west window, 3-light south window, and door
to east with carved tympanum. North transeptal chapel: 3-light north window
and trefoiled light in gable above, Caernarvon arched doorway and 2-light window to
west. Chancel: 4 arches of blank arcading resting on corbels to south, and 2
trefoil headed lancets; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, and
trefoil light in gable above. Vestry: 2-light window to east, door and 3-light
window under gable to north. Interior: 2 bay arcades to transeptal chapels with
marble quatrefoil-section piers, foliated capitals, moulded and carved arches,
and hoodmoulds. Chancel has moulded arch on marble piers, shafted windows to
east and south, and short wall columns on corbelled heads, supporting roof.
Wagon roofs throughout, that in chancel painted. C19 fittings include reredos and
octagonal font on marble columns. VCH, Vol 3, p. 446; BOE, Berkshire, 1966,
pp. 311-312; Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, 194%,
p. 156.


Listing NGR: SU5772267695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.