This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3807 / 51°22'50"N
Longitude: -1.1442 / 1°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 459655
OS Northings: 164975
OS Grid: SU596649
Mapcode National: GBR 93Q.CJD
Mapcode Global: VHCZN.3KYD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39502
Location: Aldermaston, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Aldermaston
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Aldermaston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ALDERMASTON CHURCH ROAD (south side)
SU 56 SE
6/26 Church Of St. Mary
Church. C12 nave extended circa 1210 to form larger chancel, new nave added
to west and transeptal chapel added to south; C19 vestry. Restored 1896.
Pebbledashed with stone dressings; tiled roofs, shingled splayed foot spire
with weathervane. West tower, nave, chancel, transeptal chapel to south and
vestry. West tower: 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and newel turret.
Louvred bell chamber openings on all faces, C14 window with 2 ogee lights and
hoodmould to west with octagonal clock above. C12 re-set west doorway of one order,
shafts with chevron ornament, carved doves on capitals, and round arch with cable
moulding. Nave: south side; C15 window with 2 ogee lights under square head.
North side; C14 window with 2 ogee lights to east and C12 blocked doorway to
right, cusped lancet and pair of cusped lancets to west. Chancel: south side;
C19 round arched window to west, C19 window with 2 ogee lights under segmental
head, and roundarched doorway with impost mouldings and keystone to east. East
end; diagonal buttresses and triple lancets. North side; 2 lancets to east
with large buttress between; trefoil headed lancet to west and small C15 cinque
foiled square headed window above, originally to light rood loft. Transeptal
Chapel: cusped lancet to west, C14 window with 2 ogee lights and hoodmould to
south, and cusped lancet with C19 C13-style doorway below to east. Vestry:
lancet to west, 2-light window with Y-tracery to south and C19 door with lancet
above to east. Interior: large unmoulded tower arch, 2 small arced recesses in
wall, blind arch to south door with carved head in wall above, wagon roof to
nave with carved bosses, and old king post roof to chancel. Fittings include:
C16 pulpit and tester, C16 painted Flemish Triptych, C17 nave wall panelling,
hatchments, Charles I coat of arms, C18 chandelier and C19 font. Wall painting:
C14 St. Christopher in south transeptal chapel with C15 canopy to right, vivid
C19 paintings in nave and chancel. Glass: C13 roundels of the Annunciation
and the Coronation of the Virgin in north windows. Monument: large chest tomb
in south transeptal chapel to Sir John Forster and his wife of circa 1530,
alabaster with recumbent effigies and small figures under canopies on sides.
V.C.H., Vol 3, pp. 390-394; BOE, Berkshire, pp. 61-62; Berkshire Architectual
Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.113.
Listing NGR: SU5965464976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings