History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitton, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7094 / 53°42'33"N

Longitude: -0.6341 / 0°38'2"W

OS Eastings: 490253

OS Northings: 424525

OS Grid: SE902245

Mapcode National: GBR ST0K.J1

Mapcode Global: WHGFT.7195

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441003

Location: Whitton, North Lincolnshire, DN15

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Whitton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Whitton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brough

Listing Text

SE 92 SW WHITTON CHURCH HILL
(south side)

2/27 Church of Saint John

6.11.67
GV II*


Church. C11-12 tower; nave, chancel, tower roof and restorations 1892-7 by
W & C.A. Bassett-Smith of London. Tower of roughly-coursed ironstone rubble
with bands of limestone and gritstone blocks; nave and chancel of re-used
limestone and gritstone ashlar with bands of ironstone rubble. Ashlar
dressings. Plain tile roof. West tower with west entrance, 2-bay nave and
2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south side. 2-stage tower: quoins, tall
first stage with round-headed west door and keyhole slit to south side,
chamfered string course, original round-headed belfry openings to second
stage with C19 tracery. Italianate boldly dentilled ashlar eaves cornice
and pyramidal roof. Pointed 2-light traceried windows to nave, and moulded
cill band, single traceried lancets and pointed 3-light east window to
chancel, all with Geometrical-style tracery. Interior: C12 round-headed
tower arch with chamfered hoodmould; moulded chancel arch in Early English
style; double-chamfered arch to vestry; C19 ashlar pulpit and chancel rail
with pierced trefoils. C12 font with moulded base and carved octagonal bowl
supported on shafts, restored C19. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings
of England. Lincolnshire, 1978, 421. Drawing by C. Nattes, 1794, Banks
Collection, Lincoln City Library.


Listing NGR: SE9025324525

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.