This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4347 / 51°26'5"N
Longitude: -0.8423 / 0°50'32"W
OS Eastings: 480568
OS Northings: 171272
OS Grid: SU805712
Mapcode National: GBR C60.XJQ
Mapcode Global: VHDX2.C61G
Entry Name: Bill Hill
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41251
Location: St. Nicholas, Hurst, Wokingham, RG40
Civil Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Hurst
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 87SW ST NICHOLAS HURST TWYFORD ROAD
6/17 Bill Hill
Large country house. C18 altered C19. Brick, stone plinth, stone strings at
floor levels and stone pilasters at outer corners of south front, wood
bracketted cornice, slate roof. 3 storeys.South front:- Main block of 5
bays flanked by later projecting one storey wings.Main block has plain stone
string at first floor level, and moulded string at second floor carried
round corner pilasters.Sash windows with glazing bars, segmental headed on
ground and first floors, the centre first floor window with stone surround
swept out and carried down to first floor string, remaining first floor
windows have fluted stone key blocks with second floor string broken forward
over each; half glazed central double door, 3 pane rectangular fanlight, in
doorcase of fluted Doric pilasters, entablature with architrave swept up in
centre into frieze, cornice broken forward over pilasters and in centre, and
broken segmental pediment with unicorn in centre.Flanking wings are one storey,
brick plinth, moulded stone cornice string and small blocking course, and 3 tall
sash windows.North front: 5 bays plum coloured brick with red dressings, tall
windows on ground floor, ground and first floor windows sashes with glazing bars,
segmental headed, and glazed central door, rectangular fanlight with lead
radiating and wreathed glazing.Interior: Ground floor has been altered in C19
but retains a C18 stone staircase with wrought and cast iron balustrade and
moulded mahogany handrail.The house was first owned by Sir Montague (later Lord)
Blundell.Sold in 1734 to Lady Harold who married the first Earl Gower in 1736.
She built the stables and added to the house, which continued in her family who
added the large C19 extensions, now pulled down.
Listing NGR: SU8056871272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings