History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haineshill

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Nicholas, Hurst, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4599 / 51°27'35"N

Longitude: -0.8321 / 0°49'55"W

OS Eastings: 481236

OS Northings: 174080

OS Grid: SU812740

Mapcode National: GBR D75.DGF

Mapcode Global: VHDWW.JKGQ

Entry Name: Haineshill

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41264

Location: St. Nicholas, Hurst, Wokingham, RG10

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Hurst

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Twyford

Listing Text

SU 87SW ST NICHOLAS HURST

6/5 Haineshill
1 .8.52
- II*

Large country house. Late C16 altered and extended C18 and C19. The old part
of the house faces west and is U-shaped, brick with bonded rusticated brick
quoins, projecting plinth, moulded brick string over ground floor windows,
moulded brick cornice over first floor windows, stone copings to gables
and parapet, old tile roof, large chimney stacks with rectangular bases, string
and cornice carried round, tall octagonal shafts with moulded bases and
elaborate offset and shaped heads with projections at angles. 3 storeys and
attics. Gabled ends of projecting wings facing west have a 2-light attic
casement window, 2 similar 2-light casements on second floor, 2 sash windows
on first floor in brick architrave surround of the original windows, ground
floor similar except for left hand wing which has door in right hand bay. The
inner faces of these wings have a central gable, that in north wing with two
4-light mullion and transom windows on second floor, 2 similar sash windows
on first floor, and one in right hand bay on ground floor. South wing has a
2-light attic casement, two 2-light mullioned windows on second floor and
two 4-light mullion and transom windows on first floor.
The centre part, altered early C18, has a broad gable with large bulls eye
window in tympanum over a wide 2 storey angular bay open on ground floor
with stone Doric columns at angles and piers on wall face supporting stone
entablature. Upper part is brick with stone string at first floor cill
level, moulded stone cornice and parapet. On first floor are 3 tall sash
windows and on inner face on ground floor a central glazed door flanked
by sash windows. South front has 3 Dutch gables with similar string and
cornice and stone coping to gables and parapet between. The left hand and
centre gables have 2-light attic casement, two, 2-light second floor
casements and 2 sash windows on first floor. On ground floor the left hand
gable has a sash window in left hand bay and a blocked 4-light mulluon
and transom window in right hand. Centre gable has similar sash to left
hand and a door to right hand. Right hand gable altered C18 has similar attic
casement over semi-circular 3-light sash on ground floor, a large Doric
Palladian window on first floor and a large 3-light sash on ground floor.
The east block of 1760 is red brick, projecting stone plinth, stone string at
ground floor cill level, moulded and bracketted stone cornice and stone
blocking course, 9 bays facing east of which the 3 centre project slightly
under pediment. 2 storeys. All windows are tall sashes in moulded stone
architraves surrounds, the second from right hand and second from left hand
on ground floor have cornices supported on console brackets. Glazed central
door under large stone Doric porch of 2 columns, 2 wall pilasters and
entablature. Interior contains a C16 long gallery in older part. House was
built originally by the Windebank family. Sir Francis Windebank was a friend
of Archbishop Laud who frequently stayed there. luring the Civil War, the
house came into the possession of the Bigg family who continued until the
C18 and did some alterations in 1716. From the Biggsit descended first to
James Edward Colleton who in 1760 added the large block on the east side and
from him to the Garth family, one of whom, Captain Thomas Colleton Garth,
founded the Garth Hunt which first met there in 1852.
VCH Vol. 111.p.248. B.O.EBerkshire p.210.


Listing NGR: SU8123674080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.