This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5496 / 51°32'58"N
Longitude: -0.8101 / 0°48'36"W
OS Eastings: 482598
OS Northings: 184083
OS Grid: SU825840
Mapcode National: GBR D61.S03
Mapcode Global: VHDWH.X92X
Entry Name: The Cloisters
Listing Date: 23 March 1955
Last Amended: 25 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40908
Location: Hurley, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Hurley
Built-Up Area: Hurley
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Burchetts Green
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8284-8384 HURLEY HIGH STREET
17/10 The Cloisters
Part of the refectory of a Benedictine priory and part of another part of the priory, now a house. C12 altered C14, C16, C19 and C20. L-shaped range of which the west part has 5 bays of the old refectory (the remainder of the Refectory belongs to the Refectory (Item 17/7) Flint and stone with old tiled roof. South front retains 4 trefoiled single lights in the upper part of the wall, under the eaves, with widely splayed jambs; 2 are blocked. Under the second one from the
east is a round headed blocked opening of 2 orders, and a similar opening under the westernmost with a C20 half-glazed door. An old lead water pump under the second window with small reservoir tank and spout. Several memorial plaques set into wall, including one to Justin Morell McKenna, R.F.C., d. 2nd October 1917, at Wasnes-An-Bac, France. North front has remains of 2 large early C14 windows with moulded pointed heads and deeply splayed internal jambs; the tracery and
mullions have disappeared and have now been filled in with C20 windows. The 3rd arch now belongs to the adjoining property, the Refectory. Entrance front of L-wing is irregular. Left-hand outshut with small gabled dormer and 3 windows below. To right of this is a 2-light window on the 1st floor, entrance porch below with C20 entrance door and 4-light window to right, under a lean-to tiled roof. To the right of the entrance a 2-storey outshut with a 2-light window
on each floor. At the right end, 2 windows on the 1st floor and a plain door with a 10-light window on the ground floor, under a lean-to roof. Garden front has early C19 front of 7 bays, the central 3 windows in projection with 12 or 15 pane sashes throughout. Interior has C17 curved brick fireplace to lounge and chamfered beam with fillet to stops. Refectory is open to roof and has a later C16 roof of 6½ bays with tie beams, collar beams, through purlins and curved windbraces. This appears to have become an outbuilding after the
Reformation. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
[V.C.H. Vol III p.152 B.O.E (Berkshire) Pl 57]
Listing NGR: SU8259884083
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings