This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5672 / 51°34'1"N
Longitude: -0.7731 / 0°46'23"W
OS Eastings: 485132
OS Northings: 186079
OS Grid: SU851860
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.PCL
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.KV4Z
Entry Name: Marlow Bridge
Listing Date: 11 April 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40785
Location: Bisham, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL7
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Bisham
Built-Up Area: Marlow
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 88 NE BISHAM MARLOW ROAD
2/15 Marlow Bridge
River suspension bridge. 1831-36, by William Tierney Clark, restored 1956-7. The
iron chains are carried by a pair of stone Doric triumphal arches on rusticated piers.
The iron rails to the wooden footways have contemporary "Palm Tree" heads. Clark
was a pupil of Telford and assistant to Rennie. He designed bridges also at Hammersmith
and Budapest, the former now destroyed. The restoration in 1956-7 was substantial,
so that much of the ironwork and chains are new. The appearance of the bridge, however,
Part of the bridge is included in the Statutory List as 1/60 for the former Urban District
of Marlow, now part of Wycombe District in the County of Buckinghamshire.
Listing NGR: SU8513286079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings