This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.52 / 51°31'11"N
Longitude: -0.7366 / 0°44'11"W
OS Eastings: 487756
OS Northings: 180872
OS Grid: SU877808
Mapcode National: GBR D6J.LM1
Mapcode Global: VHDWR.52Y3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 24 July 1970
Last Amended: 12 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40726
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Boyn Hill
Built-Up Area: Maidenhead
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Maidenhead Boyne Hill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
513O BOYN HILL ROAD
SU 878O NE 24.7.7O Church of All Saints
1854-7 Architect G E Street. Two westernmost bays of nave and vestry to south-
west added by A E Street in 19O7-11. Red brick with horizontal bands of blue brick
and stone dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof, terra cotta ridge tiles, gabled
parapet stone bellcote over east gable. Octagonal stone broached spire on brick
tower with alternate stone band on upper levels. Circular brick stair turret on
west, covered entrance with polychromatic 4-centred arches underneath base.
Nave of 6 bays, aisle either side with slim stone column arcades with Composite
capitals of alternating designs, four centred polychromatic arches of red and blue
toothed brick and stone. Coupled triforium windows with stained glass. 3 relief
carved stone circular panels in each side nave spandrels, 3 rectangular panels similar
carved each side of aisle wall all depicting the stations of the Cross. Larger
rectangular relief carved stone panel, The Calvary, on west end wall erected 192O,
in memory of dead 1914-1918 war. Stone pulpit. Fresco, Christ in Majesty over Chancel
arch by A E Street.
Chancel walls of black and white bricks, coloured tiles interspersed with polished
alabaster. On RH Piscin and Sedilia on LH Anmboy, all in carved stone surrounds.
Two good portrait brasses in floor that nearest altar to first vicar of Boyn Hill,
William Fresley died 1876 and other to second Vicar, Arthur Bishop Drumow 1876-1925.
Soffite of nave roof between rafters, paintings of alternating designs. Stained
glass to east and west windows by Hardman.
An important example of Street's early work. The Church forms a visual focal point
at end of long straight road, All Saints Avenue and is part of a tractarian group
by same architects, comprising the former All Saints Vicarage, All Saints School
and Schoolmaster's House, All Saints Almshouses and Vicarage Lodge. VCH Berks Vol
III p 11O, Pevsner pp 47 and 173.
Listing NGR: SU8775380871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings