History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Western Cottage and Lych Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4808 / 51°28'50"N

Longitude: -0.6073 / 0°36'26"W

OS Eastings: 496806

OS Northings: 176681

OS Grid: SU968766

Mapcode National: GBR F8L.388

Mapcode Global: VHFTG.F18M

Entry Name: Western Cottage and Lych Gate

Listing Date: 2 October 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 40402

Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Without

Built-Up Area: Windsor

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: New Windsor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Windsor

Listing Text

1. BACHELOR'S ACRE

5130
Western Cottage and
Lych Gate
SU 9676 NE 3/132
II
2.
Dating back to 1702 and associated with adjacent disused churchyard but very
much altered and refaced circa 1850-60. 2 storeys stucco faced with rusticated 2 storeys stucco faced with rusticated
quoins. Hipped tiled roof with flat eaves. Deep plat band and sill courses.
Entrance bay set at obtuse angle to front to right hand. Main bay has slight
centre break. One window 1st floor flanked by pilasters with keystoned blind
archivolt and over, flanking side panels giving Venetian window effect. 2 windows
ground floor with louvred shutters. Good delicate early to mid C19 iron trellis
verandah frame but no roof. Doorway flanked by panelled pilasters, large console
brackets with bearded heads bearing cornice hood - window above. Plaque dedicated
to memory of S J Stone who lived here whilst curate of Parish Church 1863-70,
author of the hymn "The Church's one Foundation". Timber framed tiled roof
late C19 lych gate adjoins.


Listing NGR: SU9680976684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.