This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4839 / 51°29'2"N
Longitude: -0.6044 / 0°36'15"W
OS Eastings: 497002
OS Northings: 177034
OS Grid: SU970770
Mapcode National: GBR F8D.XPD
Mapcode Global: VHFT8.GYTS
Entry Name: Windsor Castle Including All the Buildings Within the Walls
Listing Date: 2 October 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40355
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Eton and Castle
Built-Up Area: Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
5130 Windsor Castle including all the
buildings within the walls.
SU 9677 SE 1/1
SU 9676 NE 3/1
SU 9776 NW 4/1
SU 97 NE 8/1
England's largest castle and a royal palace, covering some 13 acres. The castle dates back to William the Conqueror but the first stone buildings were erected
by Henry II between 1165 and 1179. The round keep stands on an artificial motte and there are baileys known as the Lower, Middle and Upper Wards. Continuous additions since this time with particu1ar activity following the foundation of the Order of the Garter by Edward III in 1348, the ensuing St George's Chapel of 1475-1511; and extensive rebuilding for Charles II by Hugh May. The present aspect of the Castle largely results from the alterations, additions and restorations carried out by James Wyatt and Sir Jeffry Wyatville circa 1800 to 1830, with further work carried out by Blore and Salvin in Queen Victoria's reign. Dominant cliff-top setting. Terrace garden with stone revetments and statuary to east of ridge. AM.
Listing NGR: SU9700077032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings