This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8465 / 51°50'47"N
Longitude: -0.9268 / 0°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 474023
OS Northings: 216977
OS Grid: SP740169
Mapcode National: GBR C12.0JF
Mapcode Global: VHDTW.WVDB
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42262
Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Waddesdon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 NW WADDESDON HIGH STREET
4/116 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Late C12 nave and S. aisle, altered C13 and C14;
C14 chancel and N. aisle; late C15 clerestory; W. tower originally C14,
rebuilt 1891; C15 S. porch, also rebuilt; all restored 1902. W. Tower is
of coursed rubble stone, remainder roughcast with stone quoins and plinth.
Concrete parapets, moulded to chancel, battlemented to remainder.
Slate roofs. W. tower is of 2 stages with angle buttresses, S.E. stair
turret, carved gargoyles, 2-light cusped openings to bell-chamber, W. door
and traceried window. C19 vestry attached to N. 6-bay clerestory of
late C15 2-light cusped windows with flat heads. N. aisle has 2 similar
3-light windows and 3 other windows, one to east, with 2-centred
heads and Y tracery. Small moulded doorway. S. aisle also irregular with
late C15 and C16 cusped windows. S. doorway has moulded arch with outer
band of chevron on attached piers with carved capitals. Moulded niche
above. S. porch has moulded arch and 2 rainwater heads dated 1736. Chancel
has one bay of 2-light traceried windows and one bay of C15 3-light
windows with flat heads, the N. wall also with 2 cusped lancets, the S.
wall with small moulded doorway. Much restored 3-light traceried window
Interior: moulded arch to tower. Nave has C14 N. arcade with 6 bays
of moulded arches on octagonal piers. 2 similar arches at E. end of
S. arcade. Remainder of S. arcade is C12 and early C13 and has 2-centred
arches of 2 off-set orders, one with roll moulding to inner order, on
circular piers with scalloped capitals. Labels have nailhead, dogtooth
or ball ornament and rest on carved head stops or short attached colonettes.
C19 nave roof on C15 carved stone corbels. Cusped piscina in N. aisle,
piscina with 4-centred head in S. aisle. Moulded chancel arch on semi-
octagonal piers, the outer order on slender attached shafts. Fittings:
C15 octagonal font with traceried panels; elaborate C19 marble pulpit,
formerly in chapel at Blenheim; remainder C19. Monuments: stone effigy
of knight c.1330 in N.E. corner of nave; small memorial tablets to Guy
Carleton 1608 and Christian Wake 1609; marble wall tablet to John Ellis
and wife c.1700 with scrolls, swags and broken segmental pediment; oval
inscription tablet to Henry Wilkinson d.1647 in aedicule with festoons
and swan-neck pediment. Brasses to: Robert Piggott and wife mid C16;
to Hugh Bristowe 1548 with figure in shroud; to Richard Huntyndon 1543
with small figure of priest; to Sir Roger Dynham, knight, 1490, a large
figure with surrounding inscription and triple canopy.
RCHM I p. 301-4.
Listing NGR: SP7402316977
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings