This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8839 / 51°53'2"N
Longitude: -0.864 / 0°51'50"W
OS Eastings: 478284
OS Northings: 221206
OS Grid: SP782212
Mapcode National: GBR C0K.Y2Z
Mapcode Global: VHDTQ.ZX24
Entry Name: Oving House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42185
Location: Oving, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Oving
Built-Up Area: Oving
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Oving with Pitchcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 SE OVING THE VILLAGE
2/36 Oving House
Mansion. Originally C17, completely remodelled and enlarged 1741-43 for
Charles Pilsworth, with later C18 wings to sides and interior re-styled
circa 1954. S. front is of red brick headers, formerly rendered, with
moulded stone plinth and stone first floor band courses and copings to
parapet. N. front is of dressed stone, some render remaining to east.
Roofs are mostly tiled but slated to centre of N. pitch. Brick
chimneys. 2 storeys,cellars and attic. S. front originally of 5 bays
with a hipped roof and re-sited stone statues to parapet. 3 centre
bays project slightly and have pediment with moulded stone dressings and
round window. These bays have 3-pane sash windows with moulded stone
architrave surrounds and accentuated keyblocks. Outer bays have
Serlian windows to ground floor, thermal windows above, and basement
windows with segmental heads and keyblocks, all with plain stone surrounds.
Central glazed doors with large rectangular fanlight, in stone doorcase with
Doric pilasters and entablature. Doors give on to central terrace
approached by 6 moulded stone steps with late C19 cast iron railings.
Side wings are of 4 bays to left and 3 to right, and have 3-pane sashes,
those to first floor smaller. N. front is also of 5 bays but more irregular,
the outer bays gabled and projecting, the centre bays and inner return
walls with parapet. 3-pane sash windows, the left bay having 2 to each
floor with small stone cornices, partly restored. Round windows to
attic in gables. Central 6-panelled door below segmentally arched fanlight
with intersecting glazing bars. Wooden doorcase with panelled reveals,
architrave arch, flanking Doric half-columns and entablature. Stone wall
attached to left links with stables. Brick wall to right links with small
rubble stone block forming courtyard with side wing. Centre of this wall has
brick gate piers with carved stone finials added c.1954.
Interior: good mid C18 staircase with fluted column newel posts, moulded
handrail, carved scrolls to string and 3 elegant turned balusters to
each tread. Fine mid C18 plaster ceiling with elaborate rococo motifs,
possibly by Thomas Roberts of Oxford, in central ground floor room to south.
This room and another to east retain C18 plaster cornices and doorcases.
W. room has C18 plaster overmantel with painted panel and swan-neck pediment.
C18 plaster panel with profile of Mrs. Pilsworth has been slightly altered
and re-sited in hall. Plain later C18 panelling in N.E. ground floor room.
N. room on first floor has good early C18 bolection panelling and C17
carved panel overmantel. Another room with similar overmantel and early C17
panelling with carved friezes, altered. S. rooms have been much embellished
c. 1954 by Felix Harbord in mid C18 style, the central room with drops copied
from Harleyford Manor.
Listing NGR: SP7828421206
Other nearby listed buildings