This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.877 / 51°52'37"N
Longitude: -0.8751 / 0°52'30"W
OS Eastings: 477533
OS Northings: 220419
OS Grid: SP775204
Mapcode National: GBR C0R.7L1
Mapcode Global: VHDTX.S27Y
Entry Name: Church of St. Giles
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42187
Location: Pitchcott, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Pitchcott
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Oving with Pitchcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 SE PITCHCOTT
2/38 Church of St. Giles
Parish church, now disused. Nave probably C12, C13 chancel, C14 and C15
fenestration, tower C15 and 16. Porchrebuilt 1662, remainder much restored
1864. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs. W. tower has plinth, diagonal
buttresses, plain parapet, and single openings to bell-chamber with
cusped rectangular heads. C15 W. doorway and window, both restored, the
doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould, the window with 2 traceried lights.
Nave has 2 bays of 2-light windows with cusped flat heads, now mostly C19,
and central N. and S. doorways with 2-centred chamfered arches. N. doorway
is blocked; S. door has cusped niche above and gabled porch with shallow
chamfered arch. Chancel has diagonal buttresses, 2 restored lancets and
moulded doorway to S., C19 vestry to north, and 3-light traceried E.
window with small cusped roundel above. Interior: double hollow-chamfered
arch to tower. C19 chancel arch on corbel columns with carved foliage
caps and bases. N. wall of chancel has rectangular recess, S. wall has
cusped piscina. C19 roofs and glass in E. window. C13 moulded stone book-
rest has been moved to Oving church. Other fittings have been sold and
dispersed. Building due to be converted to house at time of listing.
RCHM II p. 235-6.
Listing NGR: SP7753320419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings