This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8854 / 51°53'7"N
Longitude: -0.8645 / 0°51'52"W
OS Eastings: 478246
OS Northings: 221373
OS Grid: SP782213
Mapcode National: GBR C0K.Q7K
Mapcode Global: VHDTQ.YWT0
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42172
Location: Oving, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Oving
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Oving with Pitchcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 SE OVING CHURCH ROAD
2/23 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Early C13 nave and chancel; later C13 S. aisle, extended to
form S. chapel C14; C14 S. porch; C15 clerestory; early C16 W. tower; all
much restored 1866 and 1889; C19 N. vestry. Former N. aisle was late
C13, destroyed C16-C17. Coursed rubble limestone, rendered clerestory to
S.; tiled roofs to vestry and chancel, remainder with lead roofs. Tower of
3 stages has plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet dated 1674 with
carved heads to string course below, and small projecting stair turret at S.E.
corner. Single openings to bell chamber with semi-circular heads and square
hoodmoulds. W. side has doorway with shallow pointed arch and square
hoodmould, 3-light cusped window with 4-centred head, and a small slit
window above. Nave has parapet with C19 coping and coved moulding below.
To N. side there is an off-set buttress, a blocked door with 2-centred arch
and traces of another arch above, a single cusped light, C19 lean-to vestry
and a clerestory of 3 small lights, one quatrefoil, the others with trefoil
heads. 2 later wooden brackets on stone corbels support overhanging drain-
pipes. N.E. end has C19 buttress with broach-stopped finial. S. clerestory
has 2 similar trefoil-headed lights. Wide S. aisle and chapel have C16
windows with cusped lights and flat heads, and C14 E. window with reticulated
tracery. Small pointed window to S. between E. bays. S. door in 2-centred
chamfered arch, porch with similar moulded arch and stone benches. Chancel
has lancet windows: to N. and S. sides, triple window with taller central
light to E. All openings much restored. Interior: double chamfered arch
to tower. Nave has S. arcade of 2 double chamfered arches with central
octagonal pier, and another separate arch at it, end. One arch remains of
N. arcade, now giving access to C19 vestry; traces of other arches. Nave
roof has C15 moulded tie beams and purlins with braces dated 1657 and
remainder renewed 1922. S. aisle has cusped ogee stoup, wide recess with
moulded ogee arch and small window,cusped ogee piscina and moulded stone
book-rest from Pitchcott re-set in window jamb. Double chamfered arch from
S. chapel to chancel. Similar chancel arch. Fittings: C13 circular font;
C15-early C16 screen, the central arch with 4-centred head and carved spandrels,
the open panels with restored tracery and cornice above; 4 early C17 pews
with shaped ends; Jubilee window of 1887 in S. chapel. Monument to Rob Dell.
Senior Church liarden, 1739.
RCHM II p.229-31.
Listing NGR: SP7824621373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings