This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8146 / 51°48'52"N
Longitude: -0.7987 / 0°47'55"W
OS Eastings: 482909
OS Northings: 213571
OS Grid: SP829135
Mapcode National: GBR D2Y.2XH
Mapcode Global: VHDV5.3NM8
Entry Name: Anglican, Non Conformist and Mortuary Chapels, Aylesbury Cemetery
Listing Date: 20 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41979
Location: Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP21
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Aylesbury
Built-Up Area: Aylesbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Walton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The following building shall be added to the list:
SP 8313 AYLESBURY TRING ROAD
and Mortuary Chapels,
Anglican and Non-Conformist cemetery chapels and mortuary chapel. 1856
by W.F.Poulton and W.H. Woodman.
Anglican and Non-Conformist Chapels - coursed rubble with stone
dressings and continuous sill bands. Stone offsets to buttresses.
Steeply pitched slated roofs with fishscale patterning and brattished
ridge tiles. Gothic style. Anglican chapel 3 bays and lower chancel.
Steeply gabled projecting entrance porch in north western bay and
slender bell tower with lancet openings, lucarnes and spire at north
western angle. Corresponding to the porch, on the south west bay, a
similar transept with lancet window and 3-light triangular window in
a small western gable. Windows of curvilear style tracery with aprons
of blind stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted
interior with enriched orbels to chancel arch and scissor-truss roof.
Retains cusped altar rails and wooden pulpit. Non-Conformist Chapel
4 bays with similar north eastern porch to the right'of which a
similar bell tower with spire rises. Gabled south-western vestry
transept similar to Anglican. Windows of Geometric tracery with blind
stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted interior with
moulded corbels to scissor-truss roof.
Mortuary chapel - Pale yellow brick with black brick diaper patterning
and dressings; stone dressings and buttress offsets. South western
rear facade of red brick. Pyramidal slated roof, upswept at dogtooth
brick eaves, and gables; cross finial. Rectangular plan. Pointed arch
entrance to north western facade. Returns have 3 grouped lancet
windows each. Rear with plain 2-leaf wooden doors. The three chapels
are a good example of early Burial Board architecture; the London Act
had been extended to the rest of England and Wales in 1853. The
contract was won by the Reading based architects in competition; the
firm specialised in Non-Conformist churches and was successful in
competitions for several cemeteries in central southern England.
Listing NGR: SP8290913571
Other nearby listed buildings