This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8174 / 51°49'2"N
Longitude: -0.8152 / 0°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 481764
OS Northings: 213861
OS Grid: SP817138
Mapcode National: GBR D2X.4Q0
Mapcode Global: VHDV4.TLD4
Entry Name: The Museum
Listing Date: 7 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41857
Location: Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP20
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Aylesbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Aylesbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
799 CHURCH STREET
SP 8113 NE 1/22 7.4.52.
An early structure refaced in the first quarter of the C18. Formerly the
Grammar School. Dated 1719 on rainwater heads. Two storeys and attic.
Mainly red brick, some vitreous brick in panels. Projecting plinth with
moulded capping. String courses over ground floor windows and below tall
parapet. Five windows and four panels on first floor arranged in sequence
from left hand - window - panel - window - panel - circular window (over
door) - panel - two windows - panel. Similar arrangements on ground floor.
Tall six-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of three panes and
narrow side glazing, in surround of stone architrave and outer stone strips
with carved console brackets supporting broken curved pediment, all of
Return front to St Mary's Square - similar general treatment with slightly
flanking projections each with two windows.
The central part has - two outer circular panels, two segmental-headed
niches with moulded stone cills and square blocked window in centre on
Four tall segmental-headed four-light mullioned and transomed windows on
ground floor, (apparently modern) and very tall eight-panel central door
with rectangular fanlight of eight panes and stone surround of same design
as Church Street entrance. Small niche above pediment of vitreous brick.
The panels to upper part of front of vitreous brick. Range of six gabled
dormers. Contemporary cast lead rainwater heads of rectangular shape with
date 1719 on this front, and similar pattern undated on other front. Interior
considerably altered, but two contemporary stairs remain, and stair, doors
etc in Church House (part of the same building) formerly Headmaster's House.
See Gibbs' History of Aylesbury, VCH Bucks.
Nos 7 and 7A with Railings and Coach House and No 9 form a group.
Listing NGR: SP8176413861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings