History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

39, Rose Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wokingham, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4119 / 51°24'42"N

Longitude: -0.831 / 0°49'51"W

OS Eastings: 481394

OS Northings: 168744

OS Grid: SU813687

Mapcode National: GBR D7R.DQ4

Mapcode Global: VHDX2.KS00

Entry Name: 39, Rose Street

Listing Date: 12 November 1951

Last Amended: 15 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41748

Location: Wokingham, Wokingham, RG40

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Wokingham

Built-Up Area: Wokingham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Wokingham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wokingham

Listing Text

WOKINGHAM ROSE STREET
SU 8168 NW
( south east side)
18/68 No.39 (formerly listed as
nos. 33, 35, 37, 39)
12.11.51
G.V. II*
Merchants house, now house. Late C15, re-furbished and extended 1958,
and 1985. Timber framed with part brick infill and part wattle and daub;
old tiled gabled roof. L-plan of 3 framed bays with extensions at rear;
a former cross passage within the eastern bay;the western bay with a high
ceiling level, with the former way through to a rear yard. Jettied on road
front. 2 storeys. Tall chimney on rear wall. Road front:- exposed
timber framing with brick herringbone infill between centre section of
close studding on ground floor, the section either side of this having
been underbuilt in brick. Painted daub and render on jettied first floor,
with tension braces, moulded bressumer, and moulded string at cill level.
C20 leaded casement windows. Two 4-light behind diamond mullions on
first floor, and a 4-light gabled dormer on right. A 4-light on the
left on ground floor, a square 4-light oriel on heavy carved brackets
and a tall 3-light mullioned and transomed window on the right. A
planked entrance door left of the oriel window, in square opening with
moulded frame and hollow chamfered adjoining posts. Interior:- Fine
quality frame exposed with all carpenters marks in correct sequence.
Heavy plain joists and beams with chamfers and stepped stops. Old
diamond mullioned window opening on former external south wall, in
middle bay, with vertical shutter grooves; similar on first floor in
same position, and similar in east gable. Evidence of larger shuttered
shop window in east bay at front. Complete frame exposed on first floor
with queen strut roof, clasped purlins, broad rafters with holes facing
west at feet in each; double holes in penultimate rafters at east end.


Listing NGR: SU8139468744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.