This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3634 / 51°21'48"N
Longitude: -0.8573 / 0°51'26"W
OS Eastings: 479651
OS Northings: 163323
OS Grid: SU796633
Mapcode National: GBR C6Z.D2M
Mapcode Global: VHDX8.3Z4P
Entry Name: East Court and Adjoining Wall
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41552
Location: Finchampstead, Wokingham, RG40
Civil Parish: Finchampstead
Built-Up Area: Finchampstead
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Finchampstead and California
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FINCHAMPSTEAD JUBILEE ROAD
SU 76 SE
(north west side)
12/4 East Court and adjoining
Large house. C17 altered early C18 and in 1870 by Mr. John Walter. Part
painted brick, part painted tile-hanging with courses of shaped tiles,
probably on timber framing; tile roofs part gabled, half hipped and hipped.
Irregular plan. 2 storeys and attics, large chimney stack to north west
with some C17 brickwork. North east, entrance front:- main section has
large chimney stack with battered sides on left and a large flanking chimney
on the right; To the left of this is a C17 brick wall forming a dog-leg
at right angles and adjoining the house approximately 36 metres long and
2 metres high. 2 bays on the right hand with gabled dormers over 2 sash
windows with glazing bars on the first floor, and under the left hand
window a half glazed door in wood Doric pedimented porch roughly in centre.
To the right of the main section is a 2-storey lower wing with a gable of
one bay to the right, sash windows with glazing bars. Interior:- The
hall has C18 panelling and an C18 staircase with turned barley sugar
balusters and moulded handrails. The house was formerly known as Cowdries,
as is mentioned in a Court Roll of 1607. V.C.H. III p.242.
Listing NGR: SU7965163323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings