History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Earley, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4435 / 51°26'36"N

Longitude: -0.9289 / 0°55'44"W

OS Eastings: 474534

OS Northings: 172154

OS Grid: SU745721

Mapcode National: GBR QXK.DZ

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.VZ89

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41434

Location: Earley, Wokingham, RG6

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Earley

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Earley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Earley

Listing Text

EARLEY CHURCH ROAD (east side)
SU 77W
4/1 Church of St. Peter

26.1.67 II

Parish Church. c1844 by J. Turner in Early English style, aisles and
chancel added 1882-3. Grey vitreous brick with stone dressings, slate
gabled and coped roofs. Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north
transept with organ chamber and vestry, south transept with Lady Chapel,
embraced north west tower, south west porch, diagonal buttresses to
east wall of nave. Brick plinth with stone capping, moulded stone string
course under windows and carried up over porch as a hoodmould. 3 gabled
dormers with 2-light trefoiled windows on each side of nave forming
clerestoreys; 2-light plate traceried windows in aisles, 3-light
geometrical tracery on east window to chancel and west windows to nave
and south aisle. Tower:- 3 stages, moulded stone string at each stage,
angled buttresses reaching second stage; moulded stone cornice, balustraded
parapet, crocketted pinnacles at each corner; clock on 4 faces. Bulls
eye window in second stage, single light pointed arched openings with
louvres in third stage. Entrance doors under 2-centred arch with shafted
jambs with moulded base and leaf heads. Interior:-5-bay nave with plain
thin arch braced collar roof. North and south arcades with 2-centred
arches, plain columns with moulded heads and capitals with a crocket in
each corner. Carved stone reredos; frescoes by I. Pace (1905) stone
pulpit with cable and diaper mouldings, fleuron and dogtooth ornament,
and carved effigys of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Carved stone font
of bowl and stem. Stained glass in east chancel window and west windows
to nave and aisle. VCH Vol.III p.222. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.202.


Listing NGR: SU7453472154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.