History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade I Listed Building in Reading, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4081 / 51°24'29"N

Longitude: -0.9522 / 0°57'7"W

OS Eastings: 472973

OS Northings: 168199

OS Grid: SU729681

Mapcode National: GBR QRZ.5N

Mapcode Global: VHDX0.FVZX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118131

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41448

Location: Shinfield, Wokingham, RG2

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Shinfield

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Shinfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Earley

Listing Text

SHINFIELD CHURCH LANE (north east side)
SU 76 NW
8/9 CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
26.1.67
G.V. I

Parish Church. Late C12, rebuilt C14, altered and extended C15, tower
added C17. The whole church restored in 1857 by Sir Gilbert Scott.
Flint, stone, part roughcast; brick west tower, tiled gabled roof. 4
bay nave, chancel, south chapel built 1596, south aisle with 4 bay arcade
rebuilt 1857, and west tower rebuilt C1630. Gabled porch entry on north
side added C19 over a late C12 doorway with 2 semi-circular hollow
chamfered orders; the jambs of the outer are shafted, and those of the
inner order moulded with a small roll. Buttressed walls to nave, angle
buttresses of 2 offsets at north and south east angles of the chancel.
The windows belong to different periods; there are 2 early C14 windows
surviving on the north wall of the chancel, the eastern one of 2 acutely
pointed cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoiled spandrel and a 2-centred
head. The western window is also of 2 cinquefoiled lights with flamboyant
tracery within a similar head. On the south wall of the chancel is a C19
window copied from the corresponding wall in the north wall. The east
window of the C16 south chapel is of 3 pointed lights, uncusped, their
mullions being carried up into a 2-centred containing head; on the north
side of this is a C19 doorway with a 4-centred head: The south window is
square headed and of 3 plain transomed lights, and high up in the gable
of the east wall is a stone panel, inscribed 1596 E M. The walls of
the chapel are roughcast. The nave has 3 north windows; the easternmost
similar to the easternmost in the north wall of the chancel, the other 2
are late C15 of 3 cinquefoiled lights within square heads; the late C12
doorway is between these. On the south wall of the south aisle are 3
windows, the easternmost similar to the corresponding window in the north
wall of the nave but much restored. The other 2 windows are late C15,
each of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery within a square head.
The west tower is brick and of 3 stages with brick and stone plinth,
decorative raised brick strings at each stage, embattled parapet and
angled octagonal buttresses up to third stage. The west doorway has a
simi-circular head with a projecting brick key, and is surmounted by a
moulded brick entablature, supported by header corbels of brick. Above
the doorway is a window of 5-lights within a square head, the string course
is broken upwards over this window to form a label The ringing chamber
is lighted on the north and south by square headed windows of 2 plain
lights with 2-centred heads, and flat brick mullions. The belfry is
lighted on all 4 faces by similar 2-light windows; the walls of this stage
are slightly recessed in the centre of each face. Interior: The nave
roof is late C14 and is supported by 4 trusses with large timbers of
plain crownposts braced twice to the collar purlins, the collars and
heavily cambered tie beams are supported by wall posts and short curved
braces resting on stone corbels. The crown posts are strutted at their
feet on the tie beams by unusually large curved braces. The C17 roof
to the aisle is a double butt purlin roof complete with large windbraces
at both levels, supported by rough queen post trusses. There is a scissor
brace truss the second form the east which is probably early C15. The C16
roof of the south chapel has a pentagonal wooden ceiling, with moulded ribs,
and carved bosses at their intersections. A large Jacobean chest with 3
locks is preserved in the south aisle. Monuments: On the west wall of the
nave is a Purbeck marble tablet, sculptured with a shield of 12 quarters,
an inscription on a scroll beneath and below this is a broken sword with
the date 1576 on the hilt. On the west wall of the south aisle is an
elaborate mural marble monument to Edward Martin, died 1604 and his wife
Mary who died 1607. He was probably the builder of the south chapel,
the initials corresponding with those on the tablet, described earlier,
on the east gable. The monument is framed by Corinthian columns supporting
an entablature, surmounted by a shield. The figures are of alabaster and
are kneeling in prayer, that of Edward Martin is missing, those of his
wife and daughter remain. On the north wall of the nave is a marble
tablet sculptured with a shield to Henry Beke, died 1580. Above the
arms is a crested helm, below are 2 smaller shields with an inscription
below these. On the south wall of the south aisle is a very elaborate
marble and alabaster monument to Henry Beke. On a projecting base are
the kneeling figures of himself, his wife and daughter. 2 female figures
support an entablature, surmounted in the centre by a pedimented structure
on which is a sculptured shield of his arms with a crested helm. The
entablature is broken forward over the heads of the supporting figures, and
crowned by small obelisks standing on pedestals. A black marble panel on
the base contains a description with the date Ano Dni : 1627.
V.C.H. Vol.3 p.264. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.215.


Listing NGR: SU7297868198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.