History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Harrison Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Twyford, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4779 / 51°28'40"N

Longitude: -0.8653 / 0°51'55"W

OS Eastings: 478898

OS Northings: 176051

OS Grid: SU788760

Mapcode National: GBR C5L.B1M

Mapcode Global: VHDWV.Y3FV

Entry Name: The Harrison Almshouses

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41398

Location: Twyford, Wokingham, RG10

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Twyford

Built-Up Area: Twyford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Ruscombe and Twyford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Twyford

Listing Text

SU 77 NE TWYFORD LONDON ROAD
(south side)
2/32
1.8.52 The Harrison Almshouses

G.V. II*

Almshouses. 1640. Brick. Old tile roof. U-plan with coped gable ends.
One storey, brick dentil eaves. Road front: tall flanking chimneys and
central gabled porch with moulded brick coping and remains of brick finial.
Central 3-centred arched opening moulded and splayed, with moulded brick
pediment over and carved stone date panel in gable. The porch is flanked on
each side by 3 bays of 3-light leaded casements in wood frames. In the
courtyard formed by the projecting wings on the south-east side, the doors
and windows have been altered. The wings are joined by a brick wall with
central gateway with brick pediment on the axis of the main door. 6 tall
chimneys project at regular intervals on east and west outer walls. Interior:
Original brick fireplaces and old ledged doors. The court room to the right
of the entrance has a contemporary panelled dado and screen to passage, with
heavy moulded stiles and tails, small rectangular panels and 2 arched
doorways with small key blocks. These doorways originally had dog-gates,
now boarded over. The almshouses were renovated by the Trustees in 1966.
B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.243. V.C.H. Vol.III p.251.


Listing NGR: SU7889876051

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.