History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bearwood College Chapel bearwood College Chapel 30 Metres North West of Bearwood College

A Grade II Listed Building in Arborfield and Newland, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4157 / 51°24'56"N

Longitude: -0.8848 / 0°53'5"W

OS Eastings: 477648

OS Northings: 169108

OS Grid: SU776691

Mapcode National: GBR C6B.54B

Mapcode Global: VHDX1.MP33

Entry Name: Bearwood College Chapel bearwood College Chapel 30 Metres North West of Bearwood College

Listing Date: 14 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41414

Location: Arborfield and Newland, Wokingham, RG41

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Arborfield and Newland

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Winnersh

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Winnersh

Listing Text

ARBORFIELD AND NEWLAND BEARWOOD ROAD
SU 76 NE (south west side)

9/6 Bearwood College Chapel
30 Metres north west of
14.10.86 Bearwood College

G.V. II

Chapel. 1934-5 by Sir Herbert Baker. Red brick with stone dressings, plain
tile hipped roof. Nave, east and west aisle passages, apsidal sanctuary, lobby
entrance on south. Ground floor has 6 bays of 2-light leaded Perpendicular style
windows, and one-light similar windows to clerestoreys. Brick and stone
buttresses, fleche on ridge towards north end. Enclosed entry porch on south
with domed ceiling, semi-circular arched entry on other side of buttressed bell-
tower with open bell chamber under hipped tiled roof slightly lower in height
than main roof. Stone memorial plaque in bell tower base; in memory of James Lyle
Mackay, First Earl of Inchcape, Treasurer of The Royal Merchant Navy School 1917-1932.
Interior: 6 bay arcades with semi-circular arches and rectangular columns with
continuous mouldings; a rib vaulted apse, 2 shallow domes over the choir bays.
Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SU7764869108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.