This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7571 / 51°45'25"N
Longitude: -0.9305 / 0°55'49"W
OS Eastings: 473915
OS Northings: 207027
OS Grid: SP739070
Mapcode National: GBR C20.ZG9
Mapcode Global: VHDVG.T3FC
Entry Name: Stable Block to West of Tythrop House
Listing Date: 26 August 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43264
Location: Kingsey, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Kingsey
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Kingsey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 70 NW KINGSEY HADDENHAM ROAD
6/323 Stable Block to west of
Stable block. Built by 1680. Altered C18, C19 but restored to C17
appearance in 1982. Brick with cement dressings and ashlar doorcase.
Coved eaves to hipped old tile roof. 2 storeys. East front facing
house is of 7 bays with central doorcase with arched rusticated
surround flanked by pilasters and entablature. Ball-finials to pilasters
and pediment. Pediment has arched niche. Leaded cross-casements in
cement architraved surrounds. Band course. First floor has seven
architraved oval windows with quadrant blocks. Rusticated quoins. South
or garden side has blank ground floor wall and 4 oval windows to first
floor. North side has stable doors to ground floor. West elevation in
rubblestone with 5 sashes to first floor,stable doors to ground floor.
Flanking stacks. In 1982 the stable block was restored by Eric Throssell,
FRIBA, to its original appearance as shown in the engraving by Henry
Winstanley dated 1680. This involved reconstructing the doorcase and
ground floor windows which had been altered C18, C19. It is thought
that the original doorcase came from the early C17 house, and had been
moved here when Tythrop was remodelled c1660-1680.
Listing NGR: SP7391507027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings