This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7949 / 51°47'41"N
Longitude: -0.9329 / 0°55'58"W
OS Eastings: 473688
OS Northings: 211228
OS Grid: SP736112
Mapcode National: GBR C1M.JXR
Mapcode Global: VHDV8.S45W
Entry Name: Tyringham Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43028
Location: Cuddington, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Cuddington
Built-Up Area: Cuddington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cuddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7311 CUDDINGTON LOWER CHURCH STREET
8/91 Tyringham Hall (formerly listed
as Tyringham House)
Small country house. C16 and 1609. Coursed rubblestone, C16 windows
rendered brick mullions, transoms and jambs. Old tile roofs. C16
3 bay main block and left hand crosswing of 2 storeys plus attics,
entrance in 2½ bay right wing of one and a half storeys. Lower wing
has 8 panel door at left in heavy frame under small hood on cut brackets,
probably early C18. 3-light and 2-light oak mullioned and transomed
windows to other bays. Central 2-light gabled dormer. Main centre block
has central canted bay window of 2 storeys with 3-light mullioned and
transomed windows, outer bays have cross casements. Upper floor has
rendered brick ovolo mullions, etc, ground floor replaced in ashlar;
two 2-light gabled dormers. String course above ground floor windows and
moulded timber box cornice. Left wing has 3-light mullioned and transomed
moulded framed first floor staircase window. 2-light attic window with
pigeon holes above. South and rear elevations have mainly C17 mullioned and
transomed casements and one south facing 3-light C18 leaded casement.
All windows leaded. At rear of main centre block is large stone lateral
stack with brick upper part containing 3 flues, and on rear gable elevation
of crosswing stone stack corbelled from first floor level with brick
upper part containing 2 flues. Stone stack with offsets at rear of lower
east wing with brick flue. Witchert outbuilding range extending north from
east bay. Interior: Main block and crosswing have richly moulded doorframes
with elaborate stops, including vase stops. Centre range ground floor
room has 4-centred chamfered and stopped brick fireplace arch. Timber
framed partition wall to lower wing entrance passageway. Similar fireplace
on first floor. Left hand crosswing has staircase with original steps and
on lintel over the foot of the staircase in carved initials and date 'T.R.1609'
The lintel is cut to represent arches with a pendant boss besween and is
chamfered. The stairs to the cellar have octagonal newels with pyramid finials
and moulded handrail. Timber framed partition walls in this wing. First and
attic floor have 4-centred brick arched fireplaces, plastered in attic.
Pigeon nesting boxes inside gables of cross wing. Roofs have 2 butt purlins
and one collar. Right hand wing has elaborately moulded inglenook lintel
and C17 cheese rack on ceiling. House originally extended north from
crosswing where stumps of walls remain.
RCHM I. 111 MON.2.
Listing NGR: SP7368811228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings