History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hale

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wendover, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7577 / 51°45'27"N

Longitude: -0.708 / 0°42'28"W

OS Eastings: 489268

OS Northings: 207344

OS Grid: SP892073

Mapcode National: GBR D3N.MV6

Mapcode Global: VHDVL.P21W

Entry Name: The Hale

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42801

Location: Wendover, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Wendover

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wendover

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wendover

Listing Text

SP 80 NE WENDOVER HALE LANE

8/229 The Hale

25.10.51

GV II*

House. C18 front to C17 building, altered. Dated 1748 on 2 rainwater
heads. Painted roughcast with chamfered quoins. Old tile roof, central
block with parapet above moulded cornice; 2 tall brick chimneys. 2
storeys. Central block has six bays of sash windows, unevenly spaced,
6 panel door in third bay from LH in surround of panelled pilasters with
double scroll brackets and dentil cornice hood. Linking bay to LH with
C20 doorway, with former barn to LH refronted early C20, stucco. Old
tile roof and parapet, 3 bays of tall sash windows. Low 2-storey wing to
RH side, also C20 stucco with old tile roof, and brick chimney, door to LH
and 1 bay of sash window with 2-light casement over. Interior. Dining Room
completely panelled, probably 1748, with greek key chair rail and
scrolled surrounds to panels. Stone chimneypiece with fluted keyblock,
cupboard with semi-circular back and shaped shelves. Panelled window
shutters. C17 ceiling beam with ovolo moulding. Sitting room has moulded
cornice, enriched with egg and dart pattern, C18 wood chimney piece with
fluted frieze and moulded cornice. First floor has exposed C17 timber
framing and a section of C17 oak panelling, probably moved. C18 closet or
wig room over front door, C18 panelling and fitted seat, small direplace,
moulded cornice. History. Long associations with the Colet family
including Dean Colet founder of St. Pauls School, whose father, Sir
Henry Colet was born here c1435.
RCHM I p.312 MON.50.


Listing NGR: SP8926807344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.