History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wendover, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7694 / 51°46'9"N

Longitude: -0.7458 / 0°44'44"W

OS Eastings: 486638

OS Northings: 208600

OS Grid: SP866086

Mapcode National: GBR D3L.47T

Mapcode Global: VHDVD.1S2G

Entry Name: Castle House

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Last Amended: 4 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118433

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42776

Location: Wendover, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Wendover

Built-Up Area: Wendover

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wendover

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wendover

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2013


SP 8608
9/204


WENDOVER
AYLESBURY ROAD (east side)
No 88 Castle House


(Formerly listed as No. 86 Castle House)


II


House. Built between 1794 and 1813 (map evidence) painted stucco
with hipped slate roof. 2 stucco chimneys, 1 dormer. Parapet with
cornice to W. elevation, band to others. 2-storeys and attic. Square
plan, 3 bay elevations. Entrance on S. front which formerly had a
verandah. Central 4 panel door, upper 2 glazed, central bead, rectangular
fanlight with diagonal pattern glazing. French casements each side,
3 sashes to 1st floor. Flanking E. and W. elevations each have flattened
bow projection to centre of ground floor with 3-light French casement
and ornamental wrought iron balcony railings to parapet. Similar French
window to centre of 1st floor. Some blank window recesses. Over centre on
W. elevation is a plaster plaque incised with Rothschild monogramme and
motto. 1-storey service wing on N. side flint and brick with slate roof.
Interior: contemporary staircase, 2 marble fireplaces, cornices etc.


Listing NGR: SP8663808600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.