History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8034 / 51°48'12"N

Longitude: -0.8642 / 0°51'51"W

OS Eastings: 478410

OS Northings: 212247

OS Grid: SP784122

Mapcode National: GBR C1J.Y1Y

Mapcode Global: VHDV3.YXZX

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42735

Location: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aylesbury

Listing Text

SP 71 SE STONE CHURCH WAY
east side

3/165 Church of St. John the Baptist

21.12.67
II*

Parish Church. Stone. Tiled roof with ridge chesting. Norman nave and N.
doorway. C13 transepts. C14 W. tower with C19 saddleback roof, stair
turret to S.E., projecting parapet with carved corbel heads and gargoyles.
Restored C19, chancel 1845. Decorated style traceried S.aisle windows,
C19 S. porch over Norman door with zig-zag arch, capitals with palmette
and leaf motifs, lancet windows to transepts and chancel. Interior:
N. arcade is Norman with carved pier capitals, W. bay C13. C14 tower
arch. Font Norman, originally at Hampstead Norrey, Berks, brought
here in 1845. Cylindrical carved with interlace patterns and scene of
man fighting beast. Brasses in nave to William Gurney 1472 and Thomas
Gurney 1520. Benches with poppyheads in nave.
RCHM I p. 290 MON.2 (part).


Listing NGR: SP7841012247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.