This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9181 / 50°55'5"N
Longitude: -2.0705 / 2°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 395140
OS Northings: 113184
OS Grid: ST951131
Mapcode National: GBR 304.CBT
Mapcode Global: FRA 66KP.167
Entry Name: Chettle House
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103629
Location: Chettle, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Chettle
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Chettle St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 9513 CHETTLE VILLAGE
8/1 Chettle House
Country House, now divided into flats. c.1710 with remodelling of c.1845 and
restoration of 1912. By Thomas Archer for George Chafin, 1845 work for Edward
Castleman. Flemish bond brickwork with ashlar dressings and slate and lead
roofs partially concealed behind parapet. Brick stacks symmetrically disposed.
The plan is characterised by its rounded ends and central pavilion. West facade
of 9 bays 3:3:3 with rounded, projecting central pavilion. Partially 3 storeys
and partially 2 storeys and attics all over a basement. 18-pane sashes under
gauged brick, segmental heads. Bays are separated by brick pilasters with
idiosyncratic stone capitals bearing guttae. The pilasters support a stone
entablature with modillioned frieze. Above is a balustraded parapet bearing
finials in the form of castles. Central rounded headed stone doorway with
scrolled keystone. Part-glazed, double-doors approached up a straight flight
of steps. The East front has broadly similar detailing though it lacks the
projecting pavilion and has round headed windows in the principal storeys.
The main internal feature of note is the staircase with turned balusters, fluted
newels and moulded, ramped handrail. These rise in two flights to meet a west
landing and then rise in single flight to the billiard room. First floor gallery
with similar detailing. The spiral service stairs are contained in a central
block. The West Hall has bolection moulded panelling, by Alfred Stevens. The
rest of the interior fittings appear to be mid C19 or later. (RCHM, Dorset,
vol. IV, p.ll/12. no.2. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England:
Dorset, 1972, p.149-151.)
Listing NGR: ST9514013184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings