This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8153 / 50°48'55"N
Longitude: -2.276 / 2°16'33"W
OS Eastings: 380648
OS Northings: 101785
OS Grid: ST806017
Mapcode National: GBR 0YD.TMJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 663Y.C3B
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103538
Location: Milton Abbas, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Milton Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milton Abbas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8001 MILTON ABBAS
13/121 Parish Church of
Anglican Parish Church. c1786, probably by James Wyatt. South aisle and
vestry added, and chancel enlarged c1886, by W J Fletcher. Ashlar stone
walls with simple linth. Aisle and vestry of stone and flint banding. Nave
and aisle roofs slated, chancel roof tiled, with crested ridge - all with
coped gables. Nave, chancel, south vestry, south aisle of 3 bays, west tower.
Tower of 3 stages, with battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles. Moulded
string courses at each stage. Belfry has 2-light windows with Y-tracery -
lower sections louvred. Centre stage has clock in north face and quatrefoil
panel in west face. In lowest stage, north face has a 2-light window with
Y-tracery. Pointed-arched west door in square frame, with Coats of Arms in
spandrils. North wall of nave has three 3-light windows with inter secting
tracery. North wall of chancel has one 2-light window with Y-tracery and one
trefoiled lancet. East window of chancel 3-light, with geometrical tracery.
South wall of chancel has one trefoiled lancet. South aisle has three
3-light square-headed windows with trefoiled lights. 4-centred arched doorway
to vestry. Interior - walls plastered. Chancel has a C19 arch-braced collar
beam roof. Nave has a C19 hammer-beam roof. Simple lean-to roof to aisle.
South arcade has moulded arches, and circular columns with capitals left
rough for carving. Chancel arch has continuous mouldings - no capitals or
imposts. Font, probably C13, octagonal, on pier with detached shafts.
Pulpit late C18. Marble charity tablet, 1844, on west wall of nave. East
window by Laurence Lee 1969-70. RCHM, Monument 2. (Dorset. Vol.III)
Listing NGR: ST8064801785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings