This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8206 / 50°49'14"N
Longitude: -2.2873 / 2°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 379854
OS Northings: 102377
OS Grid: ST798023
Mapcode National: GBR 0YC.JHT
Mapcode Global: FRA 663X.STV
Entry Name: Milton Abbey School
Listing Date: 26 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103554
Location: Milton Abbas, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Milton Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milton Abbas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 7902 MILTON ABBEY
12/138 Milton Abbey School
Country house, used as public school. Built 1771-76 for Joseph Dames,
architects Sir W Chambers and J Wyatt. Replacing domestic buildings of abbey
except for Hall (item 137). Mainly ashlar stone walls, slate and lead roofs,
with parapets. Ashlar stacks, some designed as pinnacles. Quadrangular plan.
The Hall (q.v.) forming south range. Part 2-storeyed, part 3-storeyed. In
early Gothic Revival style. Entrance (north) front has projecting towers
each end and central porch tower. Porch has 4-centred arch leading to
courtyard, in square frame, with shields in spandrels, flanked by pilasters.
Each side of this a 3-sided canted bay, the whole rising to 3 storeys.
Pierced parapet with quatrefoils and moulded cornice. Moulded string courses
at each floor level. On second floor, in centre, a sash with Gothic glazing.
In each bay, 3 oval openings - those in centre with windows - others blank.
On first floor, a 4-centred arched sash with glazing bars in centre. In each
bay a 4-centred arched opening,those in centre with sashes with glazing bars -
others blank. On ground floor, a 4-centred arched sash with glazing bars in
centre of each bay. Between the porch and end towers, 2-storeyed ranges, with
battlemented parapets. On each side, each floor has three 4-centred arched
sashes with glazing bars. End towers, of 3 storeys have octagonal corner buttresses
carried up as pinnacles. Pierced parapets with quatrefoils on second floor
each tower has a square window flanked by a circular window each side - all
with glazing bars. On ground and first floors each tower has three 4-centred
arched sashes with glazing bars - the centre window larger. Label moulds to
outer windows. All windows have moulded surrounds. Archway to courtyard has
heavy timber doors. Gothic style plaster vault. East wall of flint and stone
banding. C19 service wing at south-east corner, of flint and stone banding
with slate roof. C20 wing at north-east - of no particular interest.
Internally, main rooms in west range have fine original joinery and plasterwork,
in classical style. Similar, simpler detail in rooms of north range. Stone
cantilever stair with ornamental iron balusters - East range damaged by fire
1956 - has no original interior features. Interesting early Gothic Revival
design. RCHM. Monument 4. (Dorset. Vol.III)
Listing NGR: ST7989702385
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings