This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7763 / 50°46'34"N
Longitude: -2.1648 / 2°9'53"W
OS Eastings: 388475
OS Northings: 97424
OS Grid: SY884974
Mapcode National: GBR 20F.CHN
Mapcode Global: FRA 67C1.6FJ
Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103428
Location: Anderson, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Anderson
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Zelstone with Tomson and Anderson St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 89 NE WINTERBORNE TOMSON
7/15 Church of Saint Andrew
Former parish church; now redundant and vested in the Redundant Churches
Fund. Small single-cell C12 church, re-roofed, and windows inserted in C16,
refurnished in early C18. Flint and rubble stone walls, with chamfered
plinth. Tiled roof with stone eaves courses. Tiled timber bell-cote at
west end. Nave with apsidal sanctuary. In south wall, at west end, a
blocked lancet window. East of this, 3 C16 2-light square-headed windows
with arched lights, under label moulds. 3 shallow pilaster buttresses to
apse - no east window. North wall of nave has a stone buttress covering
a blocked doorway and 2 later brick buttresses. Blocked window at east end.
In west wall a square-headed doorway with chamfered surround. Heavily studded
oak door. Internal walls plastered. Segmental waggon roof, plastered, with
chamfered ribs and bosses, - C16. Later inserted tie-beams. Flagstone floors.
All furnishings early C18. Altar table with barley sugar turned legs. Altar
rails with similar turned balusters, moulded capping rail and newels with
ball finials. Screen with flat top and rectangular framing: - arched opening
giving access to pulpit. Pulpit, oak, with raised panels and sounding board.
Box pews with raised panels. West gallery - late medieval; probably originally
the rood loft, with panelled front. C15 octagonal stone font has had the bowl
reduced in height. On north wall, memorial tablet to restoration of the church
by A R Powys, 193l. On exterior of south wall, memorial stone to A R Powys,
died 1936. Brick wall round churchyard, with piers, and plain coping, probably
C18. Good unspoiled example.
(RCHM Monument 2. Dorset. Vol. III)
Listing NGR: SY8847597424
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings