This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7773 / 50°46'38"N
Longitude: -2.1712 / 2°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 388023
OS Northings: 97536
OS Grid: SY880975
Mapcode National: GBR 20F.3WC
Mapcode Global: FRA 67B1.3YK
Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103414
Location: Anderson, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Anderson
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Zelstone with Tomson and Anderson St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 89 NE ANDERSON MANOR
7/1 Church of Saint Michael
Former parish church, now redundant. Medieval origin, transept added 1755,
whole Church largely rebuilt 1882. Architect Walter J Fletcher, of Wimborne,
Nave, Chancel, south transept, south porch. Walls, nave of flint and stone
banding, transept of flint and brick bonding, chancel plastered. Chamfered
plinth. Tiled roofs with stone eaves courses, coped gables and ornamental
ridge tiles. Double stone bell cote at west end, gabled, with trefoiled
arches, supported on a shallow pilaster buttress on west wall. C19 porch
in angle of nave and transept, of glazed timbering on flint and stone base,
with stone slate roof. West of this a 2-light square-headed window with
trefoiled lights. 2-light traceried window in transept. Single-light
square-headed windows, with trefoiled lights, in north and south chancel
walls. 2-light pointed arched traceried window in east wall. North wall
of nave has two 2-light square-headed windows with trefoiled lights.
Internally, chancel has a pine roof with cusped braced principals. Nave and
transept roofs of pine, arch-braced. C19 pine pews and pulpit. Small C19
octagonal font. Bowl of. earlier font on floor of transept, with part of base.
On south wall of nave a circular marble monument to Margaret Golpine, died
1803, signed J Brine. 1807.
Churchyard wall, probably C19, of brick, with shallow piers and plain coping.
(RCHM Monument 1. Dorset. Vol.III)
Listing NGR: SY8802397536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings