History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Portesham, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6679 / 50°40'4"N

Longitude: -2.5165 / 2°30'59"W

OS Eastings: 363592

OS Northings: 85484

OS Grid: SY635854

Mapcode National: GBR PW.JQFC

Mapcode Global: FRA 57M9.MG6

Entry Name: Chapel of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 26 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 105293

Location: Portesham, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Portesham

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portesham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Portesham

Listing Text

SY 68 NW PORTESHAM CORTON

4/172 Chapel of St Bartholomew
26.1.56
GV II*

Chapel, former free chapel. C13 chancel, C16 nave walls, with late C19 rebuilding
at west end. Restored and reconsecrated in 1897. Coursed rubble walls, with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, with stone gable-copings and plain kneelers.
Chancel: chamfered plinth. East window, late C14 alteration, and has 2 trefoiled
lights with a tracery light between vertical bars in a 2-centred head. South wall
has a single-light window, rebated externally and splayed internally, with a C20
pointed head. Nave: no plinth. South wall, C20 3-light window, doorway with
chamfered polygonal arched head, of re-used voussoirs. Plank door with strap-
hinges. West wall, rebuilt with a 3-light window, C20, with a 2-centred rere-arch.
The bellcote surmounting the west wall is C20. Stone cross-crosslet on east gable,
C20. Interior: altar, stone with chamfered Purbeck marble base and similar top
carried on two stone cross walls, early C13. Brackets: in chancel, flanking east
window, two moulded stone corbels, C15. Piscina: with chamfered jambs and ill-
fitting two-centred head and label, moulded corbelled shelf, much restored, C13.
Tiles: in chancel, re-set in floor, eighteen medieval tiles, red with yellow glaze.
(RCHM Dorset II, p.242 (2)).


Listing NGR: SY6359285484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.