This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6646 / 50°39'52"N
Longitude: -2.5979 / 2°35'52"W
OS Eastings: 357835
OS Northings: 85158
OS Grid: SY578851
Mapcode National: GBR PT.SSGJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 57FB.5P0
Entry Name: The Malthouse 5 Metres East of the Abbey House and Attached Walling
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Last Amended: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105136
Location: Abbotsbury, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Abbotsbury
Built-Up Area: Abbotsbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Abbotsbury St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 5785 ABBOTSBURY CHURCH STREET, EAST SIDE
10/17 The Malthouse 5 metres east
of The Abbey House and
26.1.56 attached walling (formerly
listed as shed and walling
GV to east)
Former abbey building, possibly infirmary, traditionally called The Malthouse,
c.1400, with c.C18 west gable wall. Building originally extended further west.
Ashlar and rubble-stone walls. Buttress with 2 set-offs at south west corner.
Clay Roman tile roof. No stacks, 2 storeys, originally, though now only ceiled
at west end, 4 windows, irregular fenestration. C14 openings with later wooden
framing, skewed loop-light at centre. 2-centred archway immediately west of south
wall, of two moulded orders dying into the jambs. East part of this wall was
formerly covered by the south wing and has a large opening with a square head of 3
chamfered orders, blocked. West of this is a blocked pedestrian doorway with
pointed-segmental head. The east wall has 2 square-headed lights to the lower
floor. Upper floor has a single late C14 window of two trefoiled lights, cross-
transomed, rebated internally for shutters, and with a chamfered reve-arch.
Interior: beam shelf on north and south walls at upper floor level. Vertical
chases in the south wall probably for the wall-parts of the original roof.
Attached west wall of south wing, running south for 60 metres and c.3.5 metres high.
Openings north to south: single square-headed light; window of two trefoiled
lights in a square head; doorway with a segmental-pointed head; three ranges of
two single-light windows, set one above another, all these have square heads,
except the southern on the ground floor, which has a trefoiled head.
(RCHM, Dorset I, p.6 (3).)
Listing NGR: SY5783785157
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings