This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8113 / 50°48'40"N
Longitude: -2.8573 / 2°51'26"W
OS Eastings: 339694
OS Northings: 101654
OS Grid: ST396016
Mapcode National: GBR MC.Y9XL
Mapcode Global: FRA 46XY.DPK
Entry Name: Racedown House with Attached Rear Garden Walls, and Gate Pier to North
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118781
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105012
Location: Broadwindsor, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Broadwindsor
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Broadwindsor with Burstock St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 30 SE BROADWINDSOR BIRDSMOORGATE
3/20 Racedown House with
garden walls, and
gate-piers to north.
Large House in grounds. Mid and late C18, with c.1900 extension, of
an east range. South elevation: brick walls in Flemish bond with
burnt headers. Diapered plat band over first floor windows. Ham
stone cornice and brick parapet over, with a slight stone cornice.
Slate roof, hipped. Large compound brick stacks at left and right
hand gables. 3 storeys with cellars. 3 windows width to original
house. Ground floor windows: tripartite sashes with Roman Doric
pilasters in Ham stone, fluted lintel over with oval paterae at each
end to terminate. Stone cornice and cills. All late C18. Correct
stone architraves and cills to remaining windows. Front doorway at
centre: with architrave, frieze and cornice in style of the adjacent
windows. C18. Door, with glass panels, C20. Stone porch, C19 with
a similar architrave and plain pilaster corners. Heavy moulded stone
cornice. Door with 6 fielded panels. c.1900 large service-range added
to house in a closely similar style. 2 storeys, 4 windows, tripartite
sashes with stone framing. Round-headed window at staircase landing.
Door with fielded panels and fanlight over. Interior: much altered
in C19 and C20, re-panelled. 2 shell-headed niches with reeded
pilaster surround and frieze with vinceaux decoration. Central tablet
with a swag: in Hall and South room. Both are re-set, or inserted.
Plaster dentil and beaded cornices with ovolo moulds in between.
Rear Garden-walls attached to north of house. Brick and chert rubble
walls with stone copings, enclosing two terraces to the north of
house. Brick gate-piers at northern end with stone obelisk finials.
William and Dorothy Wordsworth lived here from 1795 to 1797.
Source: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 54 (6).
Listing NGR: ST3969401654
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings