History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broadwindsor, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8207 / 50°49'14"N

Longitude: -2.7995 / 2°47'58"W

OS Eastings: 343777

OS Northings: 102651

OS Grid: ST437026

Mapcode National: GBR MG.XLKR

Mapcode Global: FRA 560X.Z00

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118784

English Heritage Legacy ID: 105019

Location: Broadwindsor, West Dorset, Dorset, DT8

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Broadwindsor

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Broadwindsor with Burstock St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Broadwindsor

Listing Text

ST 40 SW BROADWINDSOR CHURCH PATH
11-11-1966
4/27 Parish Church of
St John the Baptist

GV II*

Parish Church. Late C12, early C13 core, C15 west tower with reset
material. Drastic restoration by G M Allen of Crewkerne (1868), when
nave and aisles extended one bay to the east, chancel and north aisle
rebuilt. North vestry and south porch added. Rubble-stone and lias
ashlar walls. Tile and lead roofs. West tower: 3 stages, late C14,
much restored by Allen, set-back buttresses with set-offs. Crenellated
parapet with gargoyles. 2-light bell-openings with ogee-panelled
tracery. Newel stair on north side. C14 west doorway, 2-centred
with continuous moulded jambs. 3-light panel-tracery window over, by
Allen. South aisle of 5 bays, much rebuilt. Windows: west is a 3-
lighter, trefoil-cusped with panel tracery over, C15. Rest are 3-
light, trefoil-cusped with square heads over by Allen. Buttressed.
String with gargoyles and crenellated parapet over. Clerestory with
5, 2-light cusped ogee lights in a square head, crenellated parapet
over. Chancel, rebuilt, 2 bays, 2-light cusped windows with ogee
heads. Door with chamfered jambs and cusped ogival head with a round
label over. 2 large buttresses with set-offs. Stone gable-coping
with cross at apex. East window, 3-lights with flowing tracery.
Label with head-stops. South porch: diagonal buttresses, 2-centred
entrance with moulded jambs and one respond order. Label over,
stopped with ogee finial, poppy-head-stopped. Same parapets and
gargoyles over. Recessed arms (St George; St Andrew) with labels
over. South door to church, C14 continuous moulded jambs, with 2
quirks. Interior: Nave, now 5 bays, south arcade, late C12, round
piers with square scallop-capitals. Pointed arches with a slight
chamfer. North arcade, early C13, with round moulded capitals
arches with 2 chamfered orders. Flat square bases and water-holding
bases respectively. Rebuilt clerestory over a continuous string.
Chancel-arch, C19, with continuous jambs, and a stopped respond order,
with quasi stiff-leaf capitals. Label with head-stops, Internally,
windows have re e-arches, often segmental-pointed. Roofs, nave Cl9,
queen-struts with arch-braces to a high-collar. Tie beams with wall-braces
to stone corbels. Pierced quatrefoil wall-plate. Chancel, double
pitched, and with 20 compartments, bossed at the intersections. Hidden
ashlaring. Fittings: font: square Purbeck stone bowl with stone base
corner responds, Cl3. Pulpit: 7-sided oak, with buttressed and
pinnacled angels, 2 tiers of panels, upper with conventional foliage,
enriched cable for middle-rail, Cl6, Cornice and base are C2O. Piscinae:
north ai&le, east wall, with trefoil ogee head and sexfoiled drain, Cl4
south aisle, east wall, moulded jambs, trefoiled-ogee head, label and
round drain, Cl4. Wall-Tablet in chancel: Edith Gundrey, 1695. Tower:
wall-momment to E Hallson etc, 1839. Standing Dragoon.
Sources: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 52 (1). F.P.Pitfield, Dorset Parish
Churches A-D, p 119-123.


Listing NGR: ST4377702651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.