This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9211 / 50°55'15"N
Longitude: -2.4679 / 2°28'4"W
OS Eastings: 367206
OS Northings: 113620
OS Grid: ST672136
Mapcode National: GBR MX.Q6JX
Mapcode Global: FRA 56QN.VRX
Entry Name: Font Le Roi
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104805
Location: Folke, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Folke
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Folke St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 61 SE FOLKE
2/82 11-7-51 Font le Roi
Originally a gatehouse, now a farmhouse. Gatehouse C15, south-western
range c 1600 with extensive C18 alterations. Gatehouse range: coursed
rubble walls with gable-ended tiled roof having stone slate verges and
an end brick stack. Large gate opening on timber beams. To the left
of this opening is a blocked 2-centred, chamfered stone archway with
continuous jambs. Above is a single-light rectangular window with
chamfered jambs. There is a similar window over the gateway. To the
right the range is largely obscured by C19 additions although part of
anorth C15 window is visible. C17 range: coursed rubble walls with
2 forward projecting wings. Stone-slated, hipped roofs with brick
stacks at the intersections between wings and main range. Space
between the wings is filled with C18 brickwork. Ground floor left has
a 3-light, straight shamfered stone mullioned window with leaded-lights.
Above is C20 2-light casement with horizontal glazing bars. The C18
infill has a flush panelled door with a rectangular fanlight below and
a 2-light casement with leaded-lights above. Ground floor right has an
8-light window returned around ends of the wing. The outer 4-lights
are blocked. Ovolo moulded mullions with leaded-lights and cornice
over. Above is a similar 3-light window with returned label. Rear of
the house largely remodelled in the C18. Internally the south-west
room has a C17 moulded plaster ceiling restored in 1938. (RCHM).
RCHM, Dorset Vol, I, p 113, no 4. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings
of England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, p 207.
Listing NGR: ST6720613620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings