This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8611 / 50°51'39"N
Longitude: -2.4991 / 2°29'56"W
OS Eastings: 364968
OS Northings: 106956
OS Grid: ST649069
Mapcode National: GBR MV.V4N3
Mapcode Global: FRA 56NT.N6Q
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118871
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104824
Location: Hermitage, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Hermitage
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hermitage St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 60 NW HERMITAGE HERMITAGE VILLAGE
4/101 31-7-61 Church of St Mary
Parish Church, possibly C14 origin with much C17 restoration (possibly 1682)
and rebuilding c 1800. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings.
Gable ended stone slate roof with west ashlar bellcote having ball finial and
coping. Chamfered plinth. Plan: nave, chancel and south porch. South nave
windows of 3 uncusped lights with 'perpendicular' tracery with the upper
central mullions apparently missing. North nave windows are of 2 lights
under 2 centred heads with 'flowing' tracery. The west nave wall bears two
windows, each of one pointed light with a buttress between. East chancel
window similar to those of north nave. The south chancel wall has a pair
of lancets. The north chancel door has a 2-centred head. South nave door
has a chamfered, 2-centred head with continuous jambs. Porch is gabled
with a stone slated roof and has a 2-centred, chamfered doorway with
continuous jambs. Internal features: ribbed plastered barrel vault roofs,
probably C18; that to the chancel has carved bosses; C18 turned communion
rails; probably C17 round font on octagonal stem with moulded capital;
C19/C20 pulpit and pews; C17 floor slabs in chancel. West buttress bears
inscriptions dated 1682 and 1799. West wall has reset medieval corbel and
east wall has reset head stop or corbel.
RCHM, Dorset, Vol I, p.122-3, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings
of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p.227.
Listing NGR: ST6496806956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings