This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8868 / 50°53'12"N
Longitude: -2.4902 / 2°29'24"W
OS Eastings: 365613
OS Northings: 109818
OS Grid: ST656098
Mapcode National: GBR MW.SDWQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 56NR.RMR
Entry Name: Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104833
Location: Holnest, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Holnest
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Holnest Church of the Assumption
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 60 NE HOLNEST
5/110 31-7-61 Church of the Assumption
of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Parish church, nave of uncertain date, west tower late c14/early C15,
south aisle and porch C15, C17 alterations to porch and aisle, chancel
and general restoration 1855. Rubble walls with dressed rubble dressings.
Roofs: nave is tiled with gable ends having stone copings; chancel is
tiled with stone slate verges having a stone coping with cross finial
and gable ends; aisle is stone slated having gable ends with stone
copings and finial; porch is similar to aisle. West tower: 2 stages
and embattled parapet separated by westhered strings; diagonal 2-stage
buttresses; west window of 2 cinqufoiled lights with 'perpendicular'
tracery and quatrefoil under 2-centred head; south window of one light
with a square head projecting into the second stage, the string course
becoming a label ; upper stage has to each face a 2 trefoiled light window
with 'perpendicular' tracery under a 2-centred head; 2 gargoyles to
north face. Nave north face: square-set buttresses; 2 3-light square
headed windows with 'perpendicular' tracery: ashlar eaves course.
Chancel: east window of 2 cinqufoiled lights under a 2-centred head with
returned label; south door has 2-centred, chamfered head with continuous
jambs. South aisle: 2 centred head windows of 3-cinqufoiled lights and
'perpendicular' tracery: west C17 window of 2-lights under square head
with ovolo-moulded mullions and returned label. Porch: dated 1650 on
keystone: 2-centred arch with pendant keystone and apnelled impost
blocks. South door: moulded, 2-centred with continuous jambs.
Internal features: nave arcade of 2 plain round arches with a square-
headed corbelled opening to the east; 2-centred tower arch with flat
jambs, one continuous moulded order and another dying into reponds;
moulded 2-centred chancel arch with continuous jambs; aisle has
original waggon roof with moulded purlins and wall plate; C20 arch-
braced collar roof to nave on corbels; porch has original collar truss
roof; chancel has boarded rafter roof; C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with
reeded panels and chip carving, sounding board missing, cl3 cylindrical
font on cylindrical stem; Cl8 box pews with fielded panelling; wall
painting in nave with black letter inscription; cl9 encaustic tiles;
Cl7 floor slabs in chancel. There are a number of consecration crosses
in various locations.
RCHM, Dorset, Vol I, p 124, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, p 232.
Listing NGR: ST6561309820
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings