History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alton Pancras, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8202 / 50°49'12"N

Longitude: -2.4284 / 2°25'42"W

OS Eastings: 369919

OS Northings: 102384

OS Grid: ST699023

Mapcode National: GBR MY.XQKX

Mapcode Global: FRA 56SX.ZQ4

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 26 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118879

English Heritage Legacy ID: 104733

Location: Alton Pancras, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Alton Pancras

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Alton Pancras St Pancras

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Buckland Newton

Listing Text

ST 60 SE ALTON PANCRAS VILLAGE STREET (WEST SIDE)

8/14 26-1-56 The Manor House

GV II*

House, extensive remodelling c 1730-44 for Thomas Hasket and again c 1760.
Brick (Flemish bond) with some render and south gable of mathematical tiles,
ashlar dressings. Slated gable ended roofs, stone copings and end brick
stacks. East facade, 2 storeys, 5 bay. Ashlar plinth, plat-band, eaves
course and rusticated quoins. Windows are sashes with gauged brick heads
with keystones and stone aprons. The upper floor central window has a stone
architrave with side scrolls and a key-block. The central doorway has a
moulded stone surround with a pedimented cornice. Internal features: North
room of east range has fielded panelling, a fireplace with entablature and
Tuscan columns flanked by two 'gothick' ogee-headed niches; the south room
of the same range has fielded panelling and a fireplace with Ionic pilasters;
two bestibules between the north and south rooms have fielded panelling,
the westernmost one containing the stairs which have turned newel posts and
balusters and a moulded handrail. C18 doorcases with carved and moulded
architraves and doors with fielded and beaded panels.
RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p.2, no 2. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of
England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, pp.75-6.


Listing NGR: ST6991902384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.