This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8204 / 50°49'13"N
Longitude: -2.4289 / 2°25'44"W
OS Eastings: 369880
OS Northings: 102403
OS Grid: ST698024
Mapcode National: GBR MY.XQFG
Mapcode Global: FRA 56SX.ZGB
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104730
Location: Alton Pancras, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Alton Pancras
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Alton Pancras St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 60 SE ALTON PANCRAS VILLAGE STREET (WEST SIDE)
8/11 26-1-56 Parish Church of
Parish Church,tower C15, chancel 1874, nave 1875. Chancel by Ewan
Christian, nave by G R Crickmay. Banded, squared rubble and flint.
Tiled, gable-ended roofs with stone copings. Plan: chancel, nave, west
tower, north porch and north vestry. Tower and nave in 'Perpendicular'
style, chancel in 'Early English' style. Unbuttressed, 2-stage tower
with embattled ashlar parapet and corner crocketted finials. West door
has 2-centred, moulded arch with continuous jambs and stopped label.
Above is 3-light window with stopped label. Uppers stage of tower has, to
the north face, a rectangular window with 2 lancets with pierced stone
panels and to each of the remaining faces a square 2-light window with
pierced stone panels. Nave has 3-light square headed windows with
returned labels. Chancel east wall has 3 graduated lancets with a
continuous stopped label. The north and south chancel walls have
lancets, the south wall also having a 2-light window with quatrefoil
under a 2-centred head. The vestry has a chamfered east doorway and
4 lancets north. Gabled, tiled porch with loops east and west. It has
a 2-centred, moulded doorway with continuous jambs and a label with
carved stops. The north door has a 'Tudor' arch springing from capitals
and chamfered jambs. Over is some reset chevron ornament probably of
the C19. Internal Features: 2-centred tower arch with casement
moulding and continuous jambs. Quatrefoil above. 2-centred, moulded
chancel arch, the outer orders of which are continuous with the jambs
and the inner order of which springs from a shaft. East chancel window
has shafted rere-arches. Roofs: chancel has wagon roof springing from
wall-plate and nave has scissor trusses sprining from carved corbels.
C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels on octagonal pier with 2
tiers of blind round arches. C19 wall tablets. C19 and C20 glass.
Pews, pulpit and other fittings C19.
RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 1, no 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 75. Pitfield, F P,
Dorset Parish Churches A-D, D.P.C., 1981, pp 30-32.
Listing NGR: ST6988002403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings