History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Marshwood, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7928 / 50°47'34"N

Longitude: -2.8772 / 2°52'37"W

OS Eastings: 338267

OS Northings: 99614

OS Grid: SY382996

Mapcode National: GBR MB.ZBXG

Mapcode Global: FRA 46VZ.YQZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 8 April 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 104582

Location: Marshwood, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Marshwood

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Marshwood St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Marshwood

Listing Text

SY 39 NE MARSHWOOD MARSHALSEA
5/19 Church of St Mary
II
Parish Church. West Tower 1841, rest rebuilt in 1884 by G. Vialls. Rubble
walls with lias stone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West Tower to north,
Nave, South Aisle, Chancel, Vestry at west end to south. Entrance through
west doorway of tower. West Tower of three stages with plain stone parapet.
Tall lancet bell-openings with foiled cross-in-circle motif above. Diagonal
buttresses with alternating dressed stones and rubble-work. Nave windows:
paired lancets, straight-chamfered. Chancel lancets with hood-mould over.
Two north wall buttresses. Interior: Nave with 3-bay south arcade carried on
round piers. Capitals with stiff-leaf foliage and pecking birds. Chancel
of two bays, division with nave suggested by dado and Purbeck shafts to left
and right. East window of three lancets with Purbeck-shaft framing. Roof,
of scissor-brace construction with ashlaring, unceiled. South aisle with
transverse internal buttresses. Font: stone, octagonal with irregular
quatrefoils. Pulpit: with simple turned framing in wood. Brass reading
stand in pulpit. Sedilia: very plain, stone, with trefoil heads.
Source: Pevsner, Dorset, P. 271.


Listing NGR: SY3826799614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.