This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7329 / 50°43'58"N
Longitude: -2.7558 / 2°45'20"W
OS Eastings: 346757
OS Northings: 92863
OS Grid: SY467928
Mapcode National: GBR PP.0CPH
Mapcode Global: FRA 5734.Q70
Entry Name: United Reformed and Methodist Church
Listing Date: 19 September 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118967
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104543
Location: Bridport, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bridport
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bridport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 4692 1/262
United Reformed and
1859. Architects Poulton and Woodman of Reading. Hammer dressed stone with
ashlar dressings. Pitched roof. Nave and 2 aisles. "W" front expresses this
by buttresses with setbacks crowned by octagonal spirelets with steep gablets
on each side. Coped gable end, crow-stepped at very top and crowned by tall
finial. Large 5-light grouped lancets, centre 3 lights grouped together under
1 arch and divided from remainder by colonnettes: reticulated tracery hood
mould. Pointed arch in gable end with Geometrical tracery. Porch to each
aisle with very steep roof, coped gable ends and finials, diagonally planked
double doors with ornamental iron hinges, in cusped pointed arches with hood
moulds. Star-shaped windows above each porch. Side elevations have 6 lancets
with shaped arches, separated by buttresses.
Interior. Open hammerbeam timber roof on foliate corbels. Galleries round
3 sides on twisted iron columns. Rib-vaulted apse approached through arch
on shafts with elaborate foliate capitals, corbelled out from wall; "O Worship
the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness" painted round extrados. Gabled and crocketed
organ in apse. Panelled pulpit. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with 2 tiers
of arcading, originally in the church at Charmouth. It was from this pulpit
that the Vicar of Charmouth (John Wesley's great-grandfather) was preaching
while the fugitive Charles II was waiting for the ship which failed to take
him into exile in 1651.
Nos 8 to 36 (even) form a group with the United Reformed and Methodist Church.
Listing NGR: SY4675792863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings