This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7328 / 50°43'57"N
Longitude: -2.7518 / 2°45'6"W
OS Eastings: 347035
OS Northings: 92840
OS Grid: SY470928
Mapcode National: GBR PP.L6RR
Mapcode Global: FRA 5734.RQG
Entry Name: Granby House masonic Hall
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104556
Location: Bridport, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bridport
Built-Up Area: Bridport
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bridport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5191 EAST STREET
No 126 (Masonic Hall)
No 128 (Granby House)
SY 4792 1/58 28.11.50.
Rear circa 1500, front 1769 when it was opened as the Marquis of Granby Inn.
Front in stucco, No 128 brick. Hipped stone slate roof. 3 storeys. Modillion
eaves cornice. Rusticated ground floor. No 128 has 2 inserted shop fronts
and 1 4-panelled door with oblong fanlight. Others have 6-panelled doors with
semi-circular fanlights. Sashes with glazing bars and keystones. Nos 124
and 126 have eared surrounds to 1st and 2nd floor windows, and semi-circular
blind panels to blocked windows on 2nd floor.
Rear part is remnant of the mediaeval Priory of St John. Rubble. Pitched
slate roof with coped gables on kneelers East wall has a canted oriel window
supported on coved and moulded corbel, 4 lights, each with 3 centred heads.
The lower part looks circa 1500, the upper part possibly mid C16. Remains
of 2 other windows with moulded frames, probably early C16, one with a relieving
arch. Voussoirs of a pointed lancet incorporated into south wall.
Interior of rear part. Ground floor room at north end has ceiling with all
beams moulded, door with chamfered arch, and blocked door on west side (now
a cupboard) with chamfered relieving arch and behind this an ogee-shaped moulding
presumably once framing a door. Room on 1st floor above this has the oriel
window In the east side: opposite this it has a blocked window with 3 arched
lights and hollow chamfer: fireplace with chamfered 4-centred arch. Room
at south end of 1st floor was evidently re-conditioned in mid C18: it has
a moulded cornice and fielded panelling throughout, including reveals of 2
blocked windows to west.
Further 1 storey red brick extension to south. Pitched pantile roof, 1 planked
door. Planked double doors. 1 casement with glazing bars. 1 boarded window.
1 loft door.
Nos 108 to 128 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: SY4703792839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings