This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7962 / 50°47'46"N
Longitude: -2.854 / 2°51'14"W
OS Eastings: 339909
OS Northings: 99978
OS Grid: SY399999
Mapcode National: GBR MC.Z4RX
Mapcode Global: FRA 46XZ.MZ7
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104565
Location: Bettiscombe, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bettiscombe
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bettiscombe and Pilsdon St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 39 NE BETTISCOMBE
5/8 Church of St Stephen
Parish Church. Entirely rebuilt 1862, in Perpendicular style, by
John Hicks of Dorchester. Rubble-stone walls with freestone banding and
dressings. Tiled roof. West Tower, Nave, North Aisle, Chancel, South
Porch, West Tower, of four stages with stone quoins, unbutressed. South
stair turret of only two stages. Medieval Perpendicular west window of
three lights with tracery, reset. Two-light bell openings with stone
"traceries". Plain parapet with raised corners, stone-coped. South
elevation: window-porch-window; chancel: window-buttress-window. C19
windows of two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil over. One reused
medieval head and mullion at east end of chancel south wall, with heraldic
label-stop. Porch with 2-centred arch entrance with moulded stone jambs.
Diagonal buttresses with set-offs.
Interior: Nave with three-bay north arcade, carried on standard responds
with hollow chamfers. Plain capitals and bases. Tower-arch: straight-
chamfered dying into walls. Chancel-arch: three responds with wave-mountings
over. Roof, wooden, of single-hammer-beam design with arch-braces, all carried
on carved stone corbels. Segmental ridge-members Pulpit: C19, stone of
debased Perpendicular type with tall panels and traceried heads. Signs of
the Four Evangelists. Font: C19, octagonal stone bowl with central stone
support and four Purbeck marble colonettes. Carved panels with e.g. Star of
David, Dove, IHS, Passion flower, acorns and leaves. Monuments: (1) Stone
floor-slab, at chancel-step, to Jane wife of John Pinney, dated 1695.
(2) Blue lias floor-slab, next to (1), to Nathaniel Pinney dated 1724 and Naomi,
his wife dated 1741. Lettering within panelled framing, comparable to Manor
House hall. Source: R.C.H.C. Dorset I, p. 28(1).
Listing NGR: SY3990999978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings