This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7337 / 50°44'1"N
Longitude: -2.7578 / 2°45'28"W
OS Eastings: 346616
OS Northings: 92948
OS Grid: SY466929
Mapcode National: GBR PP.0C4R
Mapcode Global: FRA 5734.PF8
Entry Name: 9, East Street
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 19 September 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104506
Location: Bridport, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bridport
Built-Up Area: Bridport
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bridport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5191 EAST STREET
No 9 (formerly
listed as No 11)
SY 4692 1/60 28.11.50.
C16/17. Altered in early C19. Stucco. 2 storeys. Ground floor has double-bowed
shop front with glazing bars, reeded pilasters, door jambs and transom, and
a continuous fascia with an arcaded pattern. Double doors with Gothick glazing
bars. 1st floor has 2 segmental bows with sashes with Gothick glazing bars.
Parapet with raised centre, and very elaborate foliated scrolls at the sides
supporting moulded posts with elaborate finials.
Interior. Ground floor has ceiling beams with convex moulding. 2 posts,
1 with stopped chamfers, both with applied Ionic capitals. 3 bay arcade against
rear wall with pointed arches on thin colonnettes and blue and gold painted
glass in spandrels. 1st floor room has C16/17 fireplace with moulded surround
(1 convex and 1 concave chamfer, stopped) and no mantel shelf. Simple Regency
staircase. Dispensary at rear has early Cl9 sash with marginal glazing bars;
door and window reveals panelled with raised moulding.
In the house is preserved a C17 or C18 pottery finial in form of a horse and
rider, which used to be on the roof, and dates from the time when the house
was probably the George Inn. (Similar ones found at Totnes, Plympton, Looe,
Plymouth and Polperro). Charles II stayed at the George as a fugitive on
September 23rd 1651, And was disguised as an ostler to evade capture. The
present firm was established in 1788 by Dr Roberts, who made it widely celebrated
by the manufacture of his patent medicine.
Nos 9 to 15 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: SY4661892951
Other nearby listed buildings