This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7334 / 50°44'0"N
Longitude: -2.7554 / 2°45'19"W
OS Eastings: 346786
OS Northings: 92918
OS Grid: SY467929
Mapcode National: GBR PP.0CSL
Mapcode Global: FRA 5734.QC6
Entry Name: Former Literary and Scientific Institute
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 19 September 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104515
Location: Bridport, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bridport
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bridport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 4692 1/66
EAST STREET (North Side),
No. 51 (Former Literary and Scientific Institute)
(Formerly listed as Literary and Scientific Institute, and Public Library)
Originally founded as a Mechanics Institute by Henry Warburton MP, then in 1855 reconstituted as a Literary and Scientific Institute and later used as a public library in C20. Portland ashlar. 2 storeys and high basement. Moulded band. Moulded eaves cornice and blocking course. Rusticated ground floor. 4 ranges round headed sashes with glazing bars, those on 1st floor with continuous sill band and moulded voussoirs and impost band. Panel with "Literary and Scientific Institute" inscribed. Panelled door with contemporary acanthus moulding and semi-circular fanlight, flanked by Greek Doric columns taking semi-circular arch. Some railings with spear finals.
Nos 37 to 47 (odd) the Unitarian Chapel, the Literary and Scientific Institute, and Nos 53 to 57 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: SY4678592921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings