History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dorset County Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7157 / 50°42'56"N

Longitude: -2.4373 / 2°26'14"W

OS Eastings: 369221

OS Northings: 90765

OS Grid: SY692907

Mapcode National: GBR PY.RFWS

Mapcode Global: FRA 57S6.28V

Entry Name: Dorset County Museum

Listing Date: 8 May 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 104389

Location: Dorchester, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Dorchester

Listing Text

HIGH WEST STREET
1.
5l91
(North Side)
Dorset County Museum
SY 6990 7/245
II GV
2.
1881-3. Architects: G R Crickmay and Son of Weymouth. Portland with Ham stone
dressings. Pitched slate roof. 2 storeys. 2 stringcourses, moulded batter
at 1st floor cill level, moulded dripstone at eaves level, crenellated parapet.
Central shallow canted 2 storey bay with 7 light mullion and transom window,
each light with depressed arched head, upper window with 2 transoms and Perpendicular
tracery in upper lights: crenellated parapet. Above this is gable with moulded
coping, in which is set a 3 light mullion and transom window with hoodmould,
and above it a trefoil-headed panel with Borough Arms and date of 1881. Right
hand bay has on ground floor 1 single light window with transom and Perpendicular
tracery above it. On corner of 1st floor is nearly circular 4-light oriel on
carved foliate squinches with stringcourse carried round it as a transom,
Perpendicular tracery in upper lights, ornamental frieze and battered stone
roof. Left hand bay has panelled double doors set in deeply moulded 4-centred
arch with circles and foliage in spandrels, and 3 moulded panels with escutcheons
of arms above, the whole flanked by 2 slender buttresses of square section
set diagonally, with applied ogee gablets and traceried panels, and topped
by crocketed finials [c.f. the archetypal C.15 Dorset church tower]. Above
this door is another single-light window with transom and Perpendicular tracery
above it. Oblong chimneys of which end stacks are attached polygonal shafts
with cornicing.
Interior has an aisled hall carried on cast iron columns taking galleries above
aisles, and then taking semi-circular transverse arches to roof. Elaborate
tracery patterns to main trusses and to the brackets spanning the aisle bays.
Nos 48 to 65A (consec)including the Shire Hall, Holy Trinity Church, the Museum,
St. Peter's Church and monument to William Barnes in churchyard immediately south
of West Tower form a group.


Listing NGR: SY6922190765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.