This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7154 / 50°42'55"N
Longitude: -2.439 / 2°26'20"W
OS Eastings: 369101
OS Northings: 90736
OS Grid: SY691907
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RFFM
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S6.1LV
Entry Name: The Shire Hall
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104381
Location: Dorchester, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HIGH WEST STREET
The Shire Hall
SY 6990 7/79 8.5.50.
1797 (rainwater head). Architect Thomas Hardwick. Portland ashlar. 2 storeys
7 window. Divided into 3 bays, the centre (3 windows) breaking forward and
having rusticated ground floor with 3 round-arched openings with imposts and
keystones. Each opening has rusticated reveals, double doors, transome and
fanlight. Sash windows above, cornice and pediment. Side bays are 2 windows
with round-headed windows to ground floor. Parapets. Cornice and string course
continuous across facade. At east end of front is the mileage to Hyde Park
Corner, Blandford and Bridport inscribed in contemporary incised lettering.
A tablet states that the Tolpuddle Martyrs were sentenced here in 1834.
Side elevation is red brick. Moulded modillion eaves cornice. 6 sashes with
glazing bars. Rainwater head with "l797".
Interior retains the court-room virtually as it was when the Tolpuddle Martyrs
were tried here. Contemporary wooden dock, bench, jury and witness boxes, and
Nos 48 to 65A (consec)including the Shire Hall, Holy Trinity Church, the Museum,
St. Peter's Church and monument to William Barnes in churchyard immediately south
of West Tower form a group.
Listing NGR: SY6910190736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings