This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.729 / 50°43'44"N
Longitude: -2.447 / 2°26'49"W
OS Eastings: 368546
OS Northings: 92253
OS Grid: SY685922
Mapcode National: GBR PY.4K8P
Mapcode Global: FRA 57R4.Y8T
Entry Name: Little Court
Listing Date: 10 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106200
Location: Charminster, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Charminster
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Charminster St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 69 SE
1836/7/12 Little Court
Detached house in grounds. Dated 1909 KT (Kearley and Tonge), in shield on the south west gable. By P.R.Morley Horder for Katherine Thruston and purchased in 1912 by Gilbert Tonge of Kearley and Tonge. Extended circa 1925-29. Brick walls in stretcher bond, mainly roughcast, with ashlar stone dressings. Plain clay tile roof with gabling to south west, east and west fronts over dormers, and north west. Brick stacks with moulded cornices on south range and east range. Plan: original house of L-plan with family quarters in south range and services in east range. Extended, c1925 by addition of a returning north range to create a U plan with courtyard. Original house, of 11/2 storeys with irregular fenestration. Entrance front: (north side of south range) has from left to right, 4-light mullion, 3-light mullion over. 11/2 storey gabled porch, round headed doorway with a plank door, studded 3-light mullion over. Projecting stack embrasure, brick with stone quoins. The gable end with date, has a square bay with 5-light mullions to ground and first floor. The east range facing into the courtyard has left to right, square recessed porchway to plank door (for service staff) 3-light, 2-light, 2-light casements. Over 3-light casement under a gable and 2-light casement under slightly projecting gable. All windows have good quality metal casements with rectangular leaded lights. Water tower in north east end of service range is roughcast and also tile hung to upper storey with a hipped clay tile roof and brick stack. North range, south elevation, (games room and garages to rear), from left to right, 3-light casements and over in south facing gable, 2-light casement; single storey gabled porch with round headed entrance and plank door, studded; 2-light casement. These are wood casements with lead Lights. Above are two hipped dormers with 3-light metal casements with lead Lights. Interior: services in east range include former wash-room, kitchen, staff room added at rear (to east), butler's pantry. Dining room in south east corner, with green glazed tiling to fireplace surround. Hall with double connecting doors to drawing room. Principal bedrooms over.
Listing NGR: SY6854692253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings